Electric Wizard - We Live

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Electric Wizard – We Live
Rise Above Records – 2004
By Adam McAuley

wizard.gif

Added female guitarist Liz Buckingham boosts the typical Wizard sound into even further levels of layered euphoria. They actually manage to make a thicker, denser sound with We Live than previous albums, which is quite an accomplishment. By now, anyone familiar we the band, or their usually preferred Dopethrone album know exactly what to expect from them. We Live is just more of that heavy yet undeniably groovy doom that the band have been offering to great effect for a while now.

The title track “We Live” is a highlight, featuring an insatiably catchy chorus, while “Another Perfect Day” is one of the most rocking numbers the band have concocted. But it’s the final track, “Saturn’s Children”, that sees Wizard creating something arguably more epic and layered than ever before. It starts off a little slow, but proceeds into enormous riffs that overlap with each other efficiently. Vocals are still as tortured and wonderfully suitable as usual and the drumming is as solid and tasteful as ever. The fills and slight improvisation of Justin Greaves always complements the guitar work incredibly well.

The only criticism with the album is that it doesn’t really add anything to the band’s sound or set itself apart significantly from the remainder of their discography. Dopethrone is still, in my opinion, the band’s crowning achievement, and though this gives it a decent run for the money, We Live still comes up a little short. But still, another fantastic album for a great band and one of the best of the year.

8.5+/10

Official Rise Above Records website

I'd say Electric Wizard are as important to the doom genre as Slayer is to thrash. "We Live" is another crushing release from them and kind of has influence from all their past albums. As pointed out, "Dopethrone" will always be their "Reign In Blood" but this is a mighty powerful return to form for a band that looked completely wrecked for a while.

"Saturn's Children" is just too long and monotonous for me, though... o_O