Elis

OrbWeaver

BECAUSE FALCONER
Jan 15, 2007
Illinois, USA
www.myspace.com
I purchased Elis' Dark Clouds in a Perfect Sky on a whim while browsing through Tower Records during their going out of business sale. Of the three albums I purchased (Machine Men, Skyclad, and Elis) DCiaPS was my favorite of the three. I'd call Elis Gothic Metal done right. The music is dark without being plodding (or boring) and Sabine's vocals are not in the least overpowering.

At ProgPower this last year, I picked up some more albums, including the newest album, Catharsis, featuring Sandra Schleret. I REALLY like Catharsis. It's a fantastic album, and I think does justice to Sabine's memory.

For those of you unfamiliar with the band, the original singer, Sabine Dunser, passed away unexpectedly of a cerebral hemorrhage in 2006. The band decided to continue on with Sandra Schleret as their new vocalist.

Sandra's vocals are bluesy and rich, and I actually like her better as the vocalist for the band. This does not mean I don't like Sabine's vocals (because I do!) and it does not diminish my love for the albums with Sabine on vocals. However, I believe Sandra's vocals bring the music to a new level.

So without further ado, here are two videos, one with each singer. The first is from the Dark Clouds in a Perfect Sky album.

Der Letzte Tag

Core of Life from Catharsis (2009)

I really hope for a new album soon, but I haven't seen anything on the website to indicate that there is one in the works.

I also hope to see this band at ProgPower, some day soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Griefshire is a much heavier album... guitars, growls, drums, all heavier than their other releases. Check it out too... you may or may not like it, but I think you'll be surprised at the difference in sound :)

I'd say the other albums are pretty similar to Edenbridge at a first approximation.

Griefshire and the first album are the only two I don't have.

However, I disagree that they're similar to Edenbridge. Edenbridge is more symphonic overall, and not nearly as dark. The only way they're similar to Edenbridge is that Elis' original singer has the same first name as Edenbridge's singer. Oh, and they're female-fronted. Both are really good bands, but I'd hardly compare them.

Griefshire and the first album are the only two I don't have.

However, I disagree that they're similar to Edenbridge. Edenbridge is more symphonic overall, and not nearly as dark. The only way they're similar to Edenbridge is that Elis' original singer has the same first name as Edenbridge's singer. Oh, and they're female-fronted. Both are really good bands, but I'd hardly compare them.

I'm with OrbWeaver here that Edenbridge and Elis are quite a bit different. I enjoy them both, but their music differs substantially.

There are sort of two "first" CDs from Elis. Most of the band, including Sabine, were part of Erben Der Schöpfung and released a CD called "Twilight" in 2001. The style is very much like other Sabine-fronted Elis CDs. Under Elis, the first CD was "God's Silence, Devil's Temptation" which includes probably my favorite Elis track "Devil's Temptation".

Not a flop in their catalog in my opinion.

I'm with OrbWeaver here that Edenbridge and Elis are quite a bit different. I enjoy them both, but their music differs substantially.

There are sort of two "first" CDs from Elis. Most of the band, including Sabine, were part of Erben Der Schöpfung and released a CD called "Twilight" in 2001. The style is very much like other Sabine-fronted Elis CDs. Under Elis, the first CD was "God's Silence, Devil's Temptation" which includes probably my favorite Elis track "Devil's Temptation".

Not a flop in their catalog in my opinion.

I'm counting "Twilight" as the first, since it is on the Elis website. I just couldn't remember the name of the band prior to becoming "Elis." :)