Elite

i think not, anyone should feel welcome here with their views, as each individual has a different set of philosophies. i think people can say what they mean clearly whether they use complex language or simple sentences, the debates are just as effective as long as communication is understood. profanity however, i find has almost no place here.

I don't sense much elitism in this forum, just people expressing their views to the best of their ability.

I don't know. <sniff sniff> I don't know.

It seems like the whole concept is based on the assertion that those who participate are above the ignorant masses who participate in the mainstream forums. It seems like a continuation of underground snobbery perpetuated in a club for those who don't want to get their hands dirty by arguing with the masses.

The Soviet Union was created by a bunch of elitists who thought that they were standing up for the working man. Perhaps they would have done better had they argued less with each other: listening more to the workers.

its hard not to agree with you metu--and nice Soviet Union comment that is actually true. Although most of the ideas discussed here are hardly elite-- sometimes intelligent, nothing more. I suppose you would rather be one of the ignorant mass?

I mean really, intelligent people are always going to be elite to the masses. Its like you said, when the elite decides to plan for the masses, when things get problematic.

I don't think the forum in general is elitist. I haven't been a member here long at all, but most of the people who post seem pretty reasonable (if a bit immature...).

When I first joined I thought it was, but after a while I realized that it only seemed elitist because the people that are tend to be very vocal about it.

Silent Song said:
profanity however, i find has almost no place here

Haha, are you talking about swear words or about the moron that posts in the Opeth forum (and apparently everywhere else as well)? Because I'd agree with you on both counts :tickled:

:lol: i was referring to swear words :tickled:

this forum is made of people who visit other forums, so we are a small representative of the masses. perhaps if we promote it more, more of them would join, or maybe they simply have nothing to say about current topics.

metu said:
I don't know. <sniff sniff> I don't know.

It seems like the whole concept is based on the assertion that those who participate are above the ignorant masses who participate in the mainstream forums. It seems like a continuation of underground snobbery perpetuated in a club for those who don't want to get their hands dirty by arguing with the masses.

The Soviet Union was created by a bunch of elitists who thought that they were standing up for the working man. Perhaps they would have done better had they argued less with each other: listening more to the workers.

No I think you're just reading too much into it. People just want to discuss ideas. It's not the fault of the people in this forum that those who do not wish to partake in the discussions found in this forum find it elitist.

Oh, I didn't realize metu meant the Philosophy forum specifically, so my answer reflects my opinion on UM overall. I don't think this forum is intentionally elite at all, but in general the people who post here seem to be more intellectual (at least based on what they post both here and in the other forums). Which doesn't surprise me, because the people whose idea of logical argument involves questioning the sexual orientation of people with opposing views would probably be in a bit over their heads here...

I thin kthe potential for elitism is less present here than in GMD for instance, because this forum is a place where musical taste really means nothing, and it is the validity or zeal behind one's arguemnt which determines the outcome of discussion. Differing viewpoints here actually have a chance. Who is to say that existentialism is better than nihilism or atheism better than Christianity?

Elitism has not been an issue here...yet. Let's keep it that way.

It's elitist in the sense that it attracts the intellectual "elite" - obviously intelligent people will be drawn to intelligent discussion. I don't really consider it elitist in the sense that the regulars look down upon those they don't consider "worthy" or something.

metu said:
It seems like the whole concept is based on the assertion that those who participate are above the ignorant masses who participate in the mainstream forums.

Seems to me it's here for a specific type of logical, philosophical logic, which has no home in other forums. If it bothers you, please go discuss existentialism in the Cannibal Corpse forums ;)

it's hardly elite. this is the first forum i posted in, which if anything says more about me than the forum itself. but anyone can post here and presumably they'd only get shut down if they deserved it. hmm?

Bloody Pollyanna said:
it's hardly elite. this is the first forum i posted in, which if anything says more about me than the forum itself. but anyone can post here and presumably they'd only get shut down if they deserved it. hmm?

True elitism would require standards of what is "philosophy," e.g. not HIV+ Ayn Rand discussion.