Golden Lake Productions

1. Emancipation
2. On Borrowed Time
3. Smashed Mirror World
4. A Comedy of Hunger
5. Man Denied
6. Mass Destruction
7. Invisible

For anyone thinking about getting the latest BORKNAGAR, get this instead. EMANCER is essentially made up of two guys from Norway (‘Mithrin’ playing guitars, bass, electronics, and ‘Gorbag’ delivering main vocals). For the first time in a long time, I’ll agree with the press release completely in that this truly is a montage of cold, grim, inspired, and fucking interesting songs. There are riff changes galore, the keyboards enhance the riffs (not hijack and fly them into the nearest skyscraper), the programmed drums are unbelievable, and the song structures themselves are intelligently thought out, without concern of having to keep them to the standard 3:30 minute affair.

At the end of the day, if you stripped away all the fluff from bands like BORKNAGAR, SOLEFALD, and ARCTURUS, you’d get something like EMANCER. Now tread carefully here, because I totally recognize that it’s the same ‘fluff’ that makes those bands popular in the first place, but EMANCER are different in that they keep things slightly more straightforward. The riffs are dynamic, sometimes dissolving into masses of cold tremolo picking, other times galloping or pounding away into complete head banging mid-paced breakdowns. So if you like the eclectic buffet metal over in-yer-face glacier walls of ice, then proceed with caution. EMANCER are following the ‘less is more’ approach, and so deicide how you want to follow.

I started a thread in the RC forum about this band, and the next thing I know, Terrorizer is glorifying them to no end in their album review, haha. Also, you have to put some trust into Golden Lake. After all, it was these same guys from the small Glaswegian label who put MITHRAS out there for the entire world to see. So support the smaller labels and at least do yourself a favor and go check out some samples. Failing that, buy it but either way, listen to it LOUD!

Well done Golden Lake for spotting this one out from the crowd.

8/10

The riffs are dynamic, sometimes dissolving into masses of cold tremolo picking, other times galloping or pounding away into complete head banging mid-paced breakdowns.
the song on their website ... the title track; INVISIBLE ... good stuff ... great chunky riffing :headbang:

sounds interesting ... will have to investigate further