Ember

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I was at a used CD store the other day and noticed a CD by a band I never heard of before called EMBER. The CD art looked cool so I picked it up and looked at the insert.

I noticed that the layout was done by Mr Paul Kuhr!!

This appears to be a metal release, though I notice there are covers of Naked Raygun and the Misfits (2 bands I extremely love by the way).

What is the skinny on this band?

Metal Archives describes them as black / thrash metal.

The album art looks very doom.
They cover 2 punk bands.
They are described as black and thrash....

What is one to think!!!???!!??? :)

Ember was a sort of... Well... Black metalish punk band. lol

They were a decent Chicago band at the time, and Abbas who was their drummer joined up with us at the time we wrote and recorded the EP 'For Every Leaf That Falls.'

I do graphic work for a lot of bands, mostly metal, but where I used to work years ago, I did a ton of hip-hip, rap, and dance music CD art as well. The work sucked, but the pay was great.

if you like naked raygun/misfits kind of stuff, yeah, i'd recommend it- it's kind of a more metal version of those bands, with a similar kind of vibe/energy. i've always been a fan of Ember. The Gate demo has some awesome stuff, and These Darkened Wings is a favorite song from any metal band. Lots of good energy, and relatively few bands did the black/thrash thing the way they did, with a classic punk edge.

I never heard a metal version of Raygun. Closest ever was probably Electric Frankenstein. Cradle of Filth covered "Death Comes Ripping" but that was completely wretched.