Graphic Design and Paul Kuhr

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I pulled out my copy of "Lead and Aether" by Skepticism from 1997 and in the cd inlay, there is a page for credits in the making of the album. I quote, "Graphic Design and complete layout by Paul Kuhr." The obvious question for me is, Paul did you do this design and layout for Skepticism?:heh:

Is there a list somewhere of the all the stuff you've done?

Not anymore. I used to have a website, but I stopped being open for hire, and now I'm pretty select on who I do work for. I will try to think about it, and post a list of what I can remember.

I worked for a company at one time, and all I did all day long was design CD and cassette covers and layouts. Mostly at the full time job was Hip Hop, rap and house music covers. Lots of half naked, big assed black chicks, cars, Chicago skylines, and beer. Pretty fun times actually. I would then go home, and work all night on Metal stuff.

I thought that could be you. Excellent design and layout on "Lead and Aether." I just never noticed in all these yrs I've owned the disc, for some reason I never read the credit page, until the other day. Mr Kuhr, you are talented in many areas. What exactly does the front cover represent? The figures seem to be contained in a type of cylinder, with mountains or waves in the background? When someone asks me, what is funeral/doom? I just put this on and they have their answer. I hear/feel a medieval and majestic sound, the church organ is incredible, as if some king long ago, is watching the dead return from battle, or the pounding of hammer on anvil. What's your feel about the music on this disc?

Who don't you do the designs for ND anymore? In that case you can take the record company money in your own pocket as a plus. :lol:
I'm getting curious about your other work now.

I play a very close part in the concept of our art. I don't design covers for ND anymore, because as self critical as I am with the art, I could never fully enjoy the CD. I'll always look at it objectively and look for things I could have made better. It would drive me crazy, and not allow me to enjoy it like I do when I have others create my vision. I know I can be a pain in the ass for some designers, because I usually have a very specific look I want. So far, it's worked, and I'm happy!

I think the way things are done now works out really good for us. Paul has creative control and loads of input into what the artwork will look like and how it's done, but then there's that element of outside touch and influence from whichever artist we hire as well, so we get the best of both worlds. I would surely have no problem at all if Paul said he wanted to do all of it himself as I think he's more than capable. But so far, I'm very happy with the way the artwork has gone with this band, I think it gets better with each release.

Personally, I think the artwork for Novella is one of the strongest and most powerful you've used. And I'm not taking away from you or any other artists you've worked with. I promise. :)

Paul is a real hardworker, he's behind so much things at the same time.
He knows well what he needs...

Haha

Got to tell you that I met rude people in my life and you're not even close to be rude with me. 2 months ago, I was fired from my workplace after I spoke about a few things I didnt like on the project I was working on. I came into the office and lost my job in the minute. I still think they made the wrong choice...