Emg 57 tone pot vs no tone pot test

reneisgod

Rene
Aug 28, 2006
Scotland
en-gb.facebook.com
I ran a test with 1 of my EMG 57's, - tone pot vs no tone pot.
To my ears there is a big difference between the two.

Each example riff is a bar in and out, the 1st instance of each riff is with the tone pot intact and the 2nd without.

What do you guys reckon? with or without?
I personal think its sounds better without, the dynamics are more open to my ears and the mid & high range are cleaner.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4fcs18clh3ku0ox/emg 57 tone no tone.wav?dl=0

Totally with you, I'm wiring up a guitar at the moment and I'm probably just going to leave the tone out. What else are you running here btw?

I'm not hearing much difference at all between those clips above. Maybe I'm missing something with my 5" Equators? Or maybe my ears are really that terrible.

Certainly, to me, it doesn't sound like anything that you'd notice in a mix.

The non-pot version sounds slightly scratchier to me, but that's about it. My Schecter JL-7 has the 57/66 set and no tone pot, so I doubt it makes a huge amount of difference haha.

"The non-pot version sounds slightly scratchier to me, but that's about it. My Schecter JL-7 has the 57/66 set and no tone pot, so I doubt it makes a huge amount of difference haha."

are there any capacitors between the vol pot and the jack?

I don't use a tone pot on either guitar I own now. I have no use for them. Can't hear much of a diff from the clips on my laptop speakers but hey they suck so...

Without it there is an extra high end that reminds me of a metal zone. While the signal might have a purer flow without it, we could argue the same about removing the cabinet grill cloth although it actually filters some unneeded high end. So I guess it comes down to signal chain if you need the extra shimmer, I prefer your tone with the pot.

Checked DIs, output without tone is slightly higher and slightly more sub lows, as it should be in case of increased "input" impedance.
Output can be further improved with volume pot of "passive" nominal (up to 3 db) :)
And, it seems, that in riff #4 first part should be without tone, not second...

Unless my hearing is awful it's got a more open high end that isn't harsh or fizzy. Having that usable high end information could come in very handy in a mix.