Quick high gain 81 vs 57 shootout

I agree that it's tough to find a happy medium between clipping and tone/height on the 57, but if you just sit down with a screwdriver and a pair of headphones you should be able to find something that works. Mine shipped from the factory at about 4.5mm below the strings, and yeah, there's no clipping, but they sounded muffled as hell. Brought it up to about 3.5 or a little less and it only clips when I really beat up the strings. And at any rate, a little bit of internal clipping isn't necessarily bad, though it shouldn't be clipping constantly.

Yeah I've notice with the 57 the slightest adjustment up or down makes
a big difference on the tone, i prefer it really close but the internal clipping bothers me, i used to think the 81 was bad for internal clipping but this is silly.
I might try the 18v mode on the 57 just to give it that extra headroom.

I like the tightness of the 81 as well as the slightly more rounded 57. Both are viable options. Could be cool in a left/right combo.

I've never been bothered by the internal clipping. It's just how they sound. It sucks for cleans though.

I agree that it's tough to find a happy medium between clipping and tone/height on the 57, but if you just sit down with a screwdriver and a pair of headphones you should be able to find something that works. Mine shipped from the factory at about 4.5mm below the strings, and yeah, there's no clipping, but they sounded muffled as hell. Brought it up to about 3.5 or a little less and it only clips when I really beat up the strings. And at any rate, a little bit of internal clipping isn't necessarily bad, though it shouldn't be clipping constantly.

I found that clipping is usually not a big deal before the amp if it is for distorted sound, and I don't think such a pickup sounds good in clean anyway.
That said I always find myself reducing the height just for playability and comfort for the right hand !

The 57 is noticeably much hotter than the 81 if you have the two at the same height.

I've tried the 57 at 18v and I thought it sounded better balanced at 9v personally, from what I remember I didn't like the extra brightness on the plain strings that came with 18v, but YMMV - it only takes a couple of quid and a couple of minutes to make an 18v harness anyway. What worked best for me was just spending time on pickup heights, I have the 57 set lower than I have the 81.

I do wish it was slightly lower output though.

I think the 57 works better if the 81 is too bright/thin for a guitar, but overall I still like the 81 a lot. Both sound good here.

The 57 is noticeably much hotter than the 81 if you have the two at the same height.

I've tried the 57 at 18v and I thought it sounded better balanced at 9v personally, from what I remember I didn't like the extra brightness on the plain strings that came with 18v, but YMMV - it only takes a couple of quid and a couple of minutes to make an 18v harness anyway. What worked best for me was just spending time on pickup heights, I have the 57 set lower than I have the 81.

I do wish it was slightly lower output though.

I think the 57 works better if the 81 is too bright/thin for a guitar, but overall I still like the 81 a lot. Both sound good here.

If you still have a guitar loaded with the 57, can I ask about what height you have it set at? I've been constantly adjusting mine since I got it and wanted to gauge what other people are doing with it. Like I wrote above, 3.5mm seems decent, but it still kills some of the low end thump.

If you still have a guitar loaded with the 57, can I ask about what height you have it set at? I've been constantly adjusting mine since I got it and wanted to gauge what other people are doing with it. Like I wrote above, 3.5mm seems decent, but it still kills some of the low end thump.

Measuring on the bass side my 57 is a tiny bit under 4mm, my 81 in another guitar looks just over 2.5mm.