EMG 81, EMG 85, or Duncan Dimebag

Metal is Religion

Anti-Christ
Jun 8, 2002
Baltimore, Maryland USA
Visit site
alright. i might be getting a new pickup installed on my LTD EX-102. I was thinking of either EMG-81, EMG-85, or the Seymour Duncan Dimebag Darrell signature pickup. i dont really know what any of these sound like. i heard the 85 is better for low end, but i already have that with the tunings im in. i have pros and cons on each though. i play in B usually with thick strings and i play death/black metal, if that matters. help is appreciated. thanks!

If you ask me EMG81 at the bridge is the way to go. Yeah people do say they 'make everything sound the same', and i've even seen one guy on this forum post something completely ridiculous like 'they make you sound better than you are', but i rekon they're perfect for metal. I guess it also depends on what tone you're after...EMGs sound really sterile and they have a nice high gain which i like. It would be wise to try out all the pick ups and then buy the one you think sounds best.

I just had the EMG 81/85 set installed in my beast, and I play Death metal as well, and I seriously couldn't be happier. I would really recommend the EMG-ZW set, which includes both the 81 and 85, and all the hardware needed to rewire to actives.
Check it out: clicky :D

Metal is Religion said:
awesome, thanks, i was kinda leary on routing my guitar anyway.

You don't have to route your guitar. I have a set of actives in one of my strats and the battery fits in the cavity just fine. And strats are know to have some of the smallest cavities around.

I use the EMG 85 in the bridge of my jackson RR and it sounds brutal!

i was making a fender amp sound good (SHOCK HORROR!... it was a rehearsal room amp).

That said, i'm a huge pantera fan, so naturally have a dimebucker equipped guitar. It sounds shit hot, but i prefer the EMG personally.