EMGs at 18v

evildonkeymaster

Zombie Goats Attack!!!!!!
Jan 12, 2005
www.myspace.com
OK guys well as of today I am the owner of an EMG 81/85 set. Instead of dropping them in my Les Paul (I still love the 500T in the bridge and just cant part with it yet) I am going to set them up in my Ibanez RG621.

One question do you guys run your EMGs on 9v (standard setup) or at 18v? I have read the 18v option results in more headroom. I do have space for 2 9vs in my Guitar. It is a strange RG model that came with a piezo (spelled right? dunno) in the bridge for an "acoustic sound" actually it sounds lame as hell so I am disconnecting it and can use the cavity for it's controls as a second 9v. I could also use it's knob for a 2nd volume knob set up and it's small switch for a after burner mod, phase mod, pre-amp boost, or other conversion. Cool huh?!?

Anyway bottom line is 9v or 18v? What do you guys think?

evildonkeymaster said:
OK guys well as of today I am the owner of an EMG 81/85 set. Instead of dropping them in my Les Paul (I still love the 500T in the bridge and just cant part with it yet) I am going to set them up in my Ibanez RG621.

One question do you guys run your EMGs on 9v (standard setup) or at 18v? I have read the 18v option results in more headroom. I do have space for 2 9vs in my Guitar. It is a strange RG model that came with a piezo (spelled right? dunno) in the bridge for an "acoustic sound" actually it sounds lame as hell so I am disconnecting it and can use the cavity for it's controls as a second 9v. I could also use it's knob for a 2nd volume knob set up and it's small switch for a after burner mod, phase mod, pre-amp boost, or other conversion. Cool huh?!?

Anyway bottom line is 9v or 18v? What do you guys think?
Hmm, I did not know there was a 18v option.

Must find out how I can accomplish this on an Epiphone Les Paul Classic. :D

This is directly from the EMG Site:

"Can I use multiple batteries?
Yes. If you've got room for multiple batteries in your guitar, you can use two batteries wired in series to power your onboard circuitry at 18 volts. The output level will not appreciably increase, but you'll have increased headroom and crisper transients. This is especially useful for percussive/slap bass styles where you can generate enormous instantaneous power levels across the entire frequency spectrum. You can also wire two batteries in parallel to provide a regular 9 volt supply but with much longer lifespan between battery changes.
Although most of our products are rated for 27 volts, we recommend a maximum of 18 volts. The additional benefits of 27 vs. 18 volts are negligible."

Here is a link to how, it talks allot about Bass but it works for active guitar EMGs too,
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mgollihur/emgmod.html

there is a custom Kerry King Jackson modded at 18v right from the factory http://vwallguitars.com/kv2x.html

now I have never done this so I am not sure of the result that's why I posted first.

I started using them with 18v a couple months ago. I think it actually gives you even better cleans. You still have to roll off your volume knob a little to get good cleans from an EMG though.
Also I kinda feel that the pickups actually started to pick up my playing dynamics just a little better. I feel that they don't distort with the slightest pick attack now and that is a good thing. But again I might be just bullshitting myself that all the extra soldering and grounding wasn't done in vain heheh. So try it for yourself and see.