EMO/METAL (Underoath, Attack Attack, etc)

LucTellier

Aug 23, 2008
Montreal
www.luctellier.com
Hey folks,

Before I send it to the band, I would appreciate to have your comments or input on this mix I just finished for a band from Lyon, France. Outside perspective always appreciated! jkthtyrt

Thanks!
LT

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds pretty solid. Only thing I would do, turn those cymbals a bit down. Mainly because they doesn't sound that natural and they cover vocals too much. Some eq or de-esser could help there also.

Sounds very good. The autotune is pretty obvious but if it's what you want it's ok. The overheads are a bit too bright though.

Emo = emotional. I'd say that the only kind of good metal music is emotional. Un-emotional growling is just pathetic IMO.

Sounds very good. The autotune is pretty obvious but if it's what you want it's ok. The overheads are a bit too bright though.

Emo = emotional. I'd say that the only kind of good metal music is emotional. Un-emotional growling is just pathetic IMO.

His examples of Underoath and Attack Attack were...um...poor choices.

Not enough tact I guess...just kidding

It sounds good to me, although I'm not a fun of the genre.

What did you use on the guitars?

Peavy 6505+, Mesa Boogie, SM57, Neve 1073, Distressor.

"EMO/METAL"...

I think I'll stop there.

Oh well... What was the right way to describe it? Screamo? Sorry, I simply get lost in all the subgenres that exist nowadays. :err:

Sounds pretty solid. Only thing I would do, turn those cymbals a bit down. Mainly because they doesn't sound that natural and they cover vocals too much. Some eq or de-esser could help there also.

Thanks man! I agree. Listening back with fresh ears, the vocals feel too low in the mix but that's only because they are masked by some 4K coming from the cymbals.

Thanks! I didn't produced the song, I only mixed it and the vocals came in that way. Nothing I can do about it. The thing with word "emo" is that people associate "emo" with sadness, depressed emo kids with mascara.. I gotta admit I totally understand why some people might have issues with that.

His examples of Underoath and Attack Attack were...um...poor choices.

Well, the 2 references that the band gave me were a song from Attack Attack and one other from Underoath. I didn't want to offend Underoath or Attack Attack fans. Nervermind.

Thanks everyone for your input, I'm gonna fix the mix and post a new version!

Oh well... What was the right way to describe it? Screamo? Sorry, I simply get lost in all the subgenres that exist nowadays. :err:
No, something like this is screamo:

I would call what you're talking about modern metalcore.

Sorry, I'm pretty anal about stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator: