Emperor

Larsson

He is risen
Feb 15, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Since the other Emperor thread is a bunch of bullshit about if it's moral to buy a gay killers album or not.

So what do you think about the legendary norwegian band?

In The Nightside Eclipse and Anthems To Welkin At Dusk are my favourite black metal albums ever. Well, Anthems is actually my favourite album ever from any genre.

Prometheus is great, definetly underrated. IX Equalibrium is good but feels very weak when compared to the other albums, pretty much 50/50 id say.

I liked Prometheus even though it seems to get trashed all the time.

I was supposed to see them last night but had to sell my ticket, got a new job and couldn't get time off to go to NYC :(

But apparently Samoth couldn't play Thursday night had border problems and was stuck in Customs, not sure if he played last night. Wonder if he'll make the L.A. shows?

Edit: looking at Blabbermouth now it looks like he missed both shows? Oh well, I wouldn't have wanted to see them without him, it just wouldn't have done it for me. Hopefully they can use this as an excuse to clear things up and come back and do a proper tour for all the fans that flew from around the US to see Emperor.

Here's a Blab article with links to a couple short 15 second clips from last night: http://roadrun.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=55103

NineFeetUnderground said:
prometheus was a squandered mess of some good moments cloaked in a bunch of craziness for the sake of being crazy. Basically Emperor's version of Topographic Oceans.
I must admit I rarely listen to it.

What do you think about the other albums?

One thing i especially like about Emperor is that they use the synth to sustain rather then provide the melody, thus fortifying the song whitout detracting from the other instruments.

To be honest I've been listening to there stuff across the board recently and I really do find my self thinking that a lot of it is quite repetative. Not Prometheus because it really was very different, whether or not it was good...I'm undecided.

Still I do really think they're an incredible band, something about the way they write...wrote, just moves me.

Larsson said:
One thing i especially like about Emperor is that they use the synth to sustain rather then provide the melody, thus fortifying the song whitout detracting from the other instruments.

i sure hope youre not referring to prometheus when you say that. :Smug:

that album was like rick wakeman on PCP with corpsepaint.

Emperor, like many black metal bands, have been hyped up quite a bit from actions outside of music. Anthems is still my favorite Emperor album, but I don't even listen to that very often.

Even though I *love* Emperor, I prefer Ihsahn's experimentalism with Peccatum. The metal parts are much more aggressive, and the the music overall better reflects his musical personality imo. Its varied and intelligent dark music.

Really? I thought Peccatum was like all of the worst traits of Emperor combined into one project without the good parts. That's based on Strangling From Within and Amor Fati atleast. I haven't heard the stuff after that. But I thought those albums were utterly pretentious and boring.

Larsson said:

I like people who point out exactly why they like music :kickass:
The use of keyboards in Emperor are probably one of the best i've heard in metal

I'm very fond of Emperor. I disagree with NFU, I think 'Prometheus' is excellent, and consistently good throughout. 'ITNE' is a stone cold classic, as far as I'm concerned, probably my favourite of the early black metal albums.

I like the others, but those are the only two I listen to even vaguely regularly tbqh.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i sure hope youre not referring to prometheus when you say that. :Smug:

that album was like rick wakeman on PCP with corpsepaint.
No I was not. I was referring to Anthems and Nightside.

It feels like Prometheus had potential to be as good as the first to albums, but Ihsahn blew it. That man should not be allowed to write music on his own.

I still feel it's a good album though. Much better then Equilibrium, as I have allready said. The Tongue Of Fire is an excellent song.