Emperor

Powers said:
Have to say I don't agree with that one. But I do agree with this one.
He wrote some good songs on his own in Emperor, thats true. I don't think he's made anything good in his side-projects at all though. I read in an interview somewhere that Samoth sloved Ihsahn down a bit when he got to out of hand with the song writing. I wonder how Prometheus would have turned out if it had been co-written with Samoth.

He goes a bit mad sometimes admittadly but the guy is a really really talented composer. Fairpoint, the two best Emperor albums were co-written but as I'm a really big fan of The Adversary I simple can't agree, although Peccatum was just pretentious as hell.

I love Itne, Attwad and Prometheus. They all have their good points and weaknesses. For Itne it's the sucky overall production and vocals, but amazing atmosphere and ferocity. For Attwad it's the bad mixing decisions but incredible compositions combined with great atmosphere. Imo Prometheus doesn't have any real weaknesses, the production is great and the compositions are great, but I can see why some people would dislike some of the chaotic riffage.

Opethian666 said:
Prometheus doesn't have any real weaknesses, the production is great and the compositions are great, but I can see why some people would dislike some of the chaotic riffage.

Prometheus' weakness is in its excesses. Too much of everything - yet I think that's why most people like it. Tone it down a bit and I think it would be a good album as against merely a decent one.

Hibernal_Dream said:
Prometheus' weakness is in its excesses. Too much of everything - yet I think that's why most people like it. Tone it down a bit and I think it would be a good album as against merely a decent one.

Well I guess the excesses just reduced the amount of people that like it, I happen to like most of those excesses, but that's just personal taste. Just as long as they are bound together in a general direction, a general feeling, which the album definitely has. The adversary on the other hand is a collection of songs from different genres with different feelings and directions, and so here the songs are not bound and the excesses are going in different directions, which makes it a lesser record imo.

Powers said:
He goes a bit mad sometimes admittadly but the guy is a really really talented composer. Fairpoint, the two best Emperor albums were co-written but as I'm a really big fan of The Adversary I simple can't agree, although Peccatum was just pretentious as hell.
The Adersary is good. But its the same stuff that holds Prometheus back that is holding The Adversary back from being great.

I like everything they've done, including Peccatum and Adversary.....but Welkin is just a towering acheivement, such a flawless and majestic album. Head and shoulders above everything else.