Empire - The Raven Ride

The Fiddler

Just Do It.
Nov 27, 2002
Heaven and Hell
If you're looking for a great disc to pick up at ProgPower, and are a fan of Tony Martin and his work with Black Sabbath, check out the 2006 relase by the band, "Empire" called, "The Raven Ride". It's the best work Tony has done since Sabbath's, "Cross Purposes". While Tony's solo release, "Scream" was quite good, "The Raven Ride" is certainly better and certainly heavier. I'd say that, "The Raven Ride" fits somewhere inbetween "The Eternal Idol" and "Headless Cross".

Tony is joined by Rolf Munkers (Majesty), Neil Murray (Whitesnake, ex-Sabbath), and Andre Hilgers (Silent Force).

You can check out a MP3 clip at:

http://www.cdinzane.com/MP3/EMPIRE-RAVEN.MP3

Empire's previous releases are definitely hard rock, but, "The Raven Ride" is definitely metal with only a couple of tracks fitting into the hard rock vein.

http://www.empire-rock.com

The Fiddler said:
If you're looking for a great disc to pick up at ProgPower, and are a fan of Tony Martin and his work with Black Sabbath, check out the 2006 relase by the band, "Empire" called, "The Raven Ride". It's the best work Tony has done since Sabbath's, "Cross Purposes". While Tony's solo release, "Scream" was quite good, "The Raven Ride" is certainly better and certainly heavier. I'd say that, "The Raven Ride" fits somewhere inbetween "The Eternal Idol" and "Headless Cross".

Tony is joined by Rolf Munkers (Majesty), Neil Murray (Whitesnake, ex-Sabbath), and Andre Hilgers (Silent Force).

You can check out a MP3 clip at:

http://www.cdinzane.com/MP3/EMPIRE-RAVEN.MP3

Empire's previous releases are definitely hard rock, but, "The Raven Ride" is definitely metal with only a couple of tracks fitting into the hard rock vein.

http://www.empire-rock.com

Excellent disc indeed, much heavier than the previous Empire on which Martin also sang. But it's not the best thing he did since leaving Sabbath IMO. I prefer Giuntini Project-II (1999) and Giuntini Project-III (2006) over this. Both GP are also very much in the Martin-Sabbath style, but they also have speedier songs. And Aldo Giuntini is an excellent guitarist too.

I'd say that the Dario Mollo/Tony Martin (The Cage)-2 album is also as good as this new Empire and pretty much in the same musical style.

labrekk said:
Excellent disc indeed, much heavier than the previous Empire on which Martin also sang. But it's not the best thing he did since leaving Sabbath IMO. I prefer Giuntini Project-II (1999) and Giuntini Project-III (2006) over this. Both GP are also very much in the Martin-Sabbath style, but they also have speedier songs. And Aldo Giuntini is an excellent guitarist too.

I'd say that the Dario Mollo/Tony Martin (The Cage)-2 album is also as good as this new Empire and pretty much in the same musical style.

Labrekk!

Thanks much for that information. I was unaware of a couple of those releases. I'm definitley eager to get my hands on them.

Todd

The Fiddler said:
Labrekk!

Thanks much for that information. I was unaware of a couple of those releases. I'm definitley eager to get my hands on them.

Todd

You're welcome! These Giuntini Project and The Cage albums need to be heard cause they rule.

I'd love to see him at ProgPower doing something like Jorn is doing this year - new tunes and a retrospective of his extensive past. Unfortunately, I think too few people know of his past work to make him an easy choice for a 3 or 4 slot. But then again, there have been many bands at PP over the years that many of us had not heard of before they were announced on the roster (and were accepted very well - Circus Maximus, Stride, Mercenary, Tad Morose, Conception to name a few).

Thank you for this information.... I had NO IDEA about this album!

"The Raven Ride" is the kind of music I wish Dio was doing these days. Dark, but still full of melody and not overly gloomy and plodding. Floating and dreamy, regardless of the tempo. If Dio were have to released, "The Raven Ride", it would have been much more successful than anything he's done since, "Strange Highways".

VenomGA said:
That Cage record he did was FANTASTIC!!!!

Which one are you talking about? He did 2 The Cage albums with Dario Mollo (1999 and 2002). As for me, while The Cage-1 was cool, The Cage-2 disc is heavier and much better IMO.

The Fiddler said:
"The Raven Ride" is the kind of music I wish Dio was doing these days. Dark, but still full of melody and not overly gloomy and plodding. Floating and dreamy, regardless of the tempo. If Dio were have to released, "The Raven Ride", it would have been much more successful than anything he's done since, "Strange Highways".

Hummm...I think Killing The Dragon was quite successful for Dio and more upbeat than Magica and Master Of The Moon (which may be slower and ploddier, but still very melodic and loaded with catchy choruses). That being said, I love Magica, MotM and KtD all the same. In fact, the only bad album Dio recorded IMO was Angry Machines.

I'll check this out, because I'm a fan of Tony Martin's. The Eternal Idol is my favorite that he did with Sabbath, but I'm partial to that record due to the Ray Gillen influence. I like the Headless Cross, but some of the lyrics are just too darned silly! It makes me feel like the Sabbath guys tried too hard to be evil on that one, and it came across as a silly horror flick.

As for Dio and his recent output, I've liked Killing The Dragon the best out of his recent years. I think Dio's major drawback is Craig Goldy. Craig just isn't a flashy guitarist, and Dio sounds better with one! That's why I like KTD so much, because the music is more upbeat and doesn't sound like it's just trudging along.

NEH Records has both Empire albums with Tony for reasonable prices...they also have a previous Empire album with Lance King singing on it for $4.99...I just had to take a chance on that one!

I also found Guintini Project II and III in stock, along with The Cage 2.

Thought some of you might want to know...

Rock on!

Picked up the Giuntini Project III at ProgPower and it's a certain must have for fans of Tony Martin. I don't care for the cover of Anno Mundi thought. Other than that, it really rocks. Took a couple of listens, but by #3, I was hooked.

Also picked up Rodinelli's "Our Cross, Our Sins" last weekend on the trip down to see Kamelot/Epica in Chicago. Another excellent effort by Tony. Bluesy metal/hard rock that's just so smooth but yet heavy enough for most melodic metalheads.

I like both the above efforts better than Tony's last solo disc which wasn't a bad disc either - it just lacked some of the talent present on the discs above.