Enchant's influences

Djöfull

Jan 27, 2002
Iceland
Since watching the interviews on the DVD I was wondering if there are recommendations of the albums of bands that influenced Enchant.
Marillion and Kansas sound good.

I second that…*I'd also add King's X and Jellyfish for Ted and Doug.

About Kansas…*I'd suggest to start with Leftoverture (Although Ted would probably mention Masque) and the live album Two For The Show

About Marillion that's a tricky subject as there are two eras : Fish & Hogarth
as for Fish I'd personnally pick Misplaced Childhood and Script for a Jester's Tear
as for Hogarth : I'd pick Season's End and Brave (masterpiece) and maybe Afraid Of Sunlight…
What do you think friends ?

Ze Dan said:
About Marillion that's a tricky subject as there are two eras : Fish & Hogarth
as for Fish I'd personnally pick Misplaced Childhood and Script for a Jester's Tear
as for Hogarth : I'd pick Season's End and Brave (masterpiece) and maybe Afraid Of Sunlight…
What do you think friends ?

The Fish-era is for me 'fugazi' and 'clutching at straws' and concerning Hogarth I see it simularly: 'season's end', 'brave', 'afraid...' and 'this strange ...'

Thanx. Merci beaucoup.

I was thinking of getting a best of CD by Kansas. Start from there.

I have Queensryches Operation mindcrime 1 and I don't like it that much.

Djöfull said:
Thanx. Merci beaucoup.

I was thinking of getting a best of CD by Kansas. Start from there.

I have Queensryches Operation mindcrime 1 and I don't like it that much.

Queensryche can be a bit tricky (not as much as Marillion). For most Queensryche die-hard fans, Operation:Mindcrime is the "Masterpiece". I prefer Empire and Promised Land personally, followed by Rage for Order.

You can't go wrong starting with the Best of Kansas... they have so much more to offer!

The Kansas influence is the most obvious, and I hear a bit of Genesis in there, too.

But the one I always think of, and it's kind of obscure, is Mister Mister. Yes, I know most people think of them as "just a pop band", but they were pretty cool and progressive, and Richard Page is an excellent vocalist who *really* reminds me of Ted.

Anyone else think so?

Mister Mister was cool, good one. Don't forget D.J Bobo as well, one of Teds favorites.

Hey Djo man, good to hear from you. Best of Kansas is a good one for starters for sure. Point Of Know Return was my favorite and probably in the top ten for me. I love the early ones as well as the later more pop oriented discs. We covered Fight Fire with Fire when we had an alias cover band and Ted sounded "dead on" with that one. It was cool.

Same with Marillion, I love the early Fish era, but Hogarths voice is one of my all time favorites. I think from around Misplaced to Brave are my favorites. Both of these bands are huge influences, more so Kansas with Ted Bill and myslef, and Marillion for Doug and Sean. And Paul and Mike as well early on.

Soundscape said:
don't forget Rush
Yeah, but that's requisitary for every good Prog band out there, so it really goes without saying. :D

Regarding Marillion, I'd agree that the first few albums with H had the biggest impact on Enchant. Just listen to "Comatose" with Marillion's "Easter" in mind.

Hey Djo man, good to hear from you. Best of Kansas is a good one for starters for sure. Point Of Know Return was my favorite and probably in the top ten for me. I love the early ones as well as the later more pop oriented discs. We covered Fight Fire with Fire when we had an alias cover band and Ted sounded "dead on" with that one. It was cool.
The chorus on FFWF sounds just like Ted. The influences are obvious yes, there's even a mention of a king without a crown!
I have listened to the Ultimate Kansas album a few times now and I must say, that the songs from Leftoverture are the best.
My favorite songs are Carry on wayward son, Pinnacle, Dust in the wind and Cheyenne anthem. Some of the stuff iiis to much on the cheese factor for me but still most songs have something good to them.

I don't know if they're an influence or not, but check out the album "Fear", by Toad the Wet Sprocket. They're not prog in any way, but they're a great melodic rock band from the early 90's that I think are somewhat comparable to Enchant (except a bit darker), and their singer Glen Phillips has a really great voice.

Always a sing along at every get togather and party we have, I big influence and a mighty fine choice for a cover at an unplugged or acoustic set.

Nice call!

I don't know if they're an influence or not, but check out the album "Fear", by Toad the Wet Sprocket. They're not prog in any way, but they're a great melodic rock band from the early 90's that I think are somewhat comparable to Enchant (except a bit darker), and their singer Glen Phillips has a really great voice.

You should hear Ted sing Dust in the Wind, another great sing along we have done. Keith I have pics somehwhere, Ted, Bill and myslef were there sorry we missed you. We went up on the stage after and hung with Eric, Phils drum tech, he played a bit with them in the set.

That was a strange crowd, I remember Steve telling that dude off that had a baby up in front of the mains.

You should hear Ted sing Dust in the Wind, another great sing along we have done.
Yes, I should! We all should! :) Soon, I hope! :)

Keith I have pics somehwhere, Ted, Bill and myslef were there sorry we missed you.
Oh, man, that would have been such an awesome photo! :)

We went up on the stage after and hung with Eric, Phils drum tech, he played a bit with them in the set.
Yeah, Eric is in a couple of the pics I took! :)

That was a strange crowd, I remember Steve telling that dude off that had a baby up in front of the mains.
DUDE, THAT WAS RIGHT NEXT TO ME! Actually, Steve didn't "tell him off" -- rather, he pleaded with the guy to take the baby out of harm's way, citing concern for his delicate ears. He was really quite the gentleman; I really admire the way he handled that. :)

We were so close to the stage, though, that the sound level was really reasonable -- not at all like being in the line of fire of those beheamoth mains!

What a great show though...

Sorry... Drifting a bit off topic there... I'll tie it all back into the main theme of this thread by saying: Kansas really exhibited a lot of class and fan appreciation that day, and from what I've gathered on this forum, It certainly appears Enchant has been influenced by Kansas beyond musically. :)