Engineer diet....

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey guys, I just got to thinking about this:

What does everyone eat while doing studio work? When the clock is ticking & you've got impatient clients, how do you cope?

I'll admit right here, I've got a pretty shitty diet on recording days. I'm definitley one of those guys on the back of the Mercenary Audio shirt:
Engineer's 4 food groups: Caffiene, Nicotene, Sugar & Grease.

That usually means, Coffee, Cigarettes (goddamn I need to quit smoking!) & Burgers. Not exactly healthy by any stretch of the imagination.

Any recommendations on somewhat healthy meals that are FAST to prepare? (offloading food prep to my wife is NOT an option!)

Thanks,
-0z-

If I am recording a band in under a week it's usually pizza/kebab/hamburgers, but for longer recordings I try to bring food from home sometimes, or have some pasta or something else that's easy to cook.

M374240t.jpg

When I want a quick something I cook up this:

Curried Omelette
Serves 4 (or 2 really hungry people)

Ingredients:
5 Eggs
100g bean sprouts
2tsp Curry powder
1tsp Ground Coriander
1tsp Ground Cumin
Half a tsp ground Lemon grass
Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:
Mix eggs and powdered ingredients in a bowl and beat until frothy. Pour mixture into a non-stick frying pan and cook until firm. Sprinkle bean sprouts on one half of the omelette then fold the two halves together. Cook each half for a further minute on each side. Serve with rice, Sambal Olek, fried onion flake and soy sauce.

I got the recipe from my dad (He's Balinese). It takes about 5 minutes for the Omelette and maybe 15 minutes for the rice (Not micorwaved, properly cooked), tastes great and is cheap.

Enjoy

Thanks for the omlette recipe! I'll have to try that out.

BTW Gav, I never drink while working. Sorry.

Then again, If I drank on the job, maybe the clients wouldn't think I'm such a prick. :)

-0z-

Serves 4 (or 2 really hungry people)

Or 0,5 Mutants ! :lol:

I love 10 egg spicey omelettes with rice and fresh red paprika ! :devil: :loco:

[edit]

Warning !
If you are not a bodybulder/strongman or some very active sportsman then lots of eggs (+ nicotine especially) will kill you sooner than you think !

If in doubt.....Ramen.....

Have to admit, I'm quite the cereal freak. Not the sugary stuff...just plain ol' cornflakes or something similar does the job. That and coffee and I can track all day if need be.

Seriously though (or not), if recording sessions are very long, that's because the musicians are not good, so I'd say "Ok, you practice for 2 hours now, I'm out to the restaurant and when I'm back, I'll give you 3 takes and we'll keep the best one whatever that is"...

Ramen is good, most grocery stores also have this Ramen-like stuff marketed as 'Yakisoba' that's a bit pricier but better and more filling. There's also pasta - set water up to boil and store-bought sauce in a pan on low, spend fifteen minutes yanking a solo out of someone, go back, spend two minutes boiling some angel-hair pasta, pull it out, smother in sauce, and you're good to go - it takes about twenty to thirty minutes but most of that is waiting for water to boil. On top of that, you'll stay full for a pretty long time.

Jeff

The mighty FLEISCHKÄS from hell! That, or this chicken curry sandwiches from the bakery at the TOOM Market around the Corner. :headbang:

But i guess the salads from ALDI with a "light" dressing is much more healthy.

019-400-fleischkaese.jpg