Engl e530 preamp...

MEGA DAVE

Mar 5, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'm thinking about ordering one today, here's the only thing stopping me... I need the effects loop to be switchable... I know you can rig up a footswitch to switch btwn the 4 channels but I HAVE to have a switchable effects loop... is there a cheap way to achieve this other than dishing out $800 for a GCX and Ground Control unit?

You could do a Rocktron Patchmate or something like that. I have the older and discontinued RFX version. 4 FX loops and 4 channel switching relays. That plus a MIDI controller will get you there.

For the MIDI controller, I have been using the Rocktron MIDI Wizard and am digging it. I like how you can scroll to the number, then activate. I don't know why all these small pedals don't do the same. Then you don't have to get all your stuff in order. You can tap dance during the easy parts and have one button for the actual switch. Also if you hit it again, it goes back to the original patch. Killler for clean and dirty, solo and rhythm, etc.

But there are also tons of others. The Behringer FCB11000 or whatever is cheap and surprisingly durable.

Roughly all $450 or so, better than $800.

On the super cheap, you could build a bypass box that you often see for pedals.

In that vein, you could probably use a Boss LS-2 or something similar as well.

hmm something that would bypass the effects loop would work much better and i assume be cheaper. if i got the bosss ls-2 how would i route it so as i can switch my effects loop on and off?

I use 2 Morely AB/Y switches on my JMP to achieve this.

Send goes to Switch 1 on my Pedal board
A = Efx
B = No EFX

A & B Get send to a separate AB switch behind the amp with both The A & B Signals Active and they come out the Y back into the Return on the amp. Its a bit convoluted but it works and I didn't have to spend $1000

For DIY:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=359.0

1 LS-2 will be cheaper than 2 A/B/Y boxes.

Without drawing a diagram, see if you can follow.

E530 out -> LS-2 INPUT
PowerAmp IN -> LS-2 OUTPUT

FX Processor IN -> LS-2 A-Send
FX Processor OUT -> LS-2 A-Return

Then you set the knob to A->Bypass

With DIY, you could potentially run into trouble with popping which is a common problem with any true-bypass system. Then things really more interesting if you want an LED and such. Also you to consider that mechanical switches have a much lower expected life compare to tactile switches found in many stompboxes and FX and such.

With the LS-2, it is buffered, which is up for huge debate with guitar-FX. In this particular case, you are working with line-level. So everything is essentially buffered by design.