ENGL e530 recording setup?

X14Halo

May 28, 2010
Hey guys,
I have heard some amazing clips from people using an e530 preamp going into recabinet. If I get the e530, how would I hook it up to my PC to be able to silently record/jam?
Most of you will probably think I'm crazy...because I have an Axe-FX II, but honestly I am having trouble dialing in a tone I like, and it is a little too complex for me...since I will be sticking with 1 or 2 amps...so I am looking into other solutions for silent playing. I would definitely need it to be set up so that I can hear my computer sounds through my headphones as well...
Also, is there a specific footswitch board I could get that hooks up to the e530 to be able to quickly switch between clean/rhythm/lead tones?

the E530 has line outputs and frequency compensated
outputs which are supposed to emulate a cab but suck really hard.

you should definitely use the line output!

Is there a good interface you could recommend that will allow me to listen to my computer sounds through it? I have a presonus firebox but it can be a pain in the ass sometimes...

I used a TC Electronics Konnekt 8. It's discontinued but the Konnekt 6 is only $199 with a few less ins/outs and no midi, but still a good deal IMO, sounds real clean and clear. I've also heard good stuff about the Focusrite stuff.

I used a TC Electronics Konnekt 8. It's discontinued but the Konnekt 6 is only $199 with a few less ins/outs and no midi, but still a good deal IMO, sounds real clean and clear. I've also heard good stuff about the Focusrite stuff.

Focusrite stuff is pretty good - I have a saffire 6 usb (199) and it's honestly one of the better interfaces I've used.

I went ahead and ordered the e530, and I'm going to try to get it working with my presonus firebox into cubase running recabinet. Thanks for the help guys. One more question...when doing the line out from the e530 into my audio interface, should I just be using a regular instrument cable? Or do I need a special cable for that? Also, can I put pedals in between my guitar and the preamp, like a distortion pedal or a wah?

Yep. But I'm not sure you can use a regular instrument cable for the headphones out or the built in 1.5w SS power amp to a cab for example... read the manual I forget what the details are (never owned one myself but a friend of mine had one).

You have to use a balanced cable if you want to hook it up to a cab using the headphone out or you'll fry that so called poweramp in e530.

You can also run it into your Axe-Fx so you can put a tubescreamer before it and use the cab simulation/EQ/Effects etc after it. So there is no need for an interface unless you sell your Axe.