JMP-1 vs. e530

MarkG

Feb 15, 2009
Netherlands
I found a Marshall JMP-1 tube preamp used for 485 euro. I was pretty much set on an ENGl e530 but this deal intrigues me. I've never been able to try the e530 but I love my ENGL Blackmore.

Which would you prefer tonewise, JMP-1 or e530? Live use, mostly rhythm some lead. Metal tone. The JMP-1 used costs as much as the e-530 new

The JMP-1 can sound awesome with the right settings. I've owned both. Both are good in their own right, but it's best to decide which tone you like better.

-Joe

played the e530 very often and owned a JMP-1 for over a year, imho you should just get the e530, that price for the JMP-1 is in my opinion way to high.
Got mine for 300€ with the footswitch, sold it for 350 without the footswitch, I know a few other guys that bought there JMP-1s almost brand new for 300-400€.

JMP1 can sound brutal with a good poweramp (Nile for exemple) but the price:puke: For 300euros it's a cool deal imo.

yeah but Nile use them togehter with other stuff and imho that sounds only suits there music-Hatesphere played the JMP-1 live, but imho if it you're after a heavy sound the e530 is imho better.
If you need many different sounds the JMP-1 is really cool, because you can save all your presets and stuff, and I would buy a JMP-1 again if I get a good deal, just to clarify that.

Haha ok thanks, I guess I'll go for the engl e530 over the jmp-1. I love my blackmore, so I'll just take the chance the e530 sounds similar enough.

:kickass:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Nile needs to take a lesson from Behemoth or Kronos for what their tone should be IMO!

I've gigged with both and have tweaked both a good amount. It comes down to a few things...

-The JMP-1 always sounded way thicker and cut better in the mix for me. It got wayyy heavier than say the JCM 2000 DSLs or whatnot. The tone controls are a bit strange, but trust me, it has balls for days when tweaked right! You can get one for a good price used if you hunt around.

-The 530 was cool, but I always lost myself in the mix live. It could have been contributed to my poweramp, which was a Marshall 9200, but the JMP-1 sounded glorious through it. I'm sure you can tweak and compensate with EQ to make it cut better, but the JMP-1 just always worked better for me.

If I was going to use one of these with impulses only I would probably pick up the 530 again.

-Joe

Also, defining "metal tone" is pretty subjective, so my advice is to try both and offload whichever one you don't like as much.

-Joe

Also, defining "metal tone" is pretty subjective, so my advice is to try both and offload whichever one you don't like as much.

-Joe

I won't be able to try that e530, so I only know how it sounds more or less because of my blackmore. However, blackmore is clearly all tube so it obviously sounds better than when I tested the jmp-1 with a solid state poweramp.

If I had to describe the tone I'm looking for I'd say the ENGL Savage 120 and the Diezel Herbert come closest, but I realise fully I won't get that tone with an SS preamp.

It is for live use, not impulses.

I won't be able to try that e530, so I only know how it sounds more or less because of my blackmore. However, blackmore is clearly all tube so it obviously sounds better than when I tested the jmp-1 with a solid state poweramp.

If I had to describe the tone I'm looking for I'd say the ENGL Savage 120 and the Diezel Herbert come closest, but I realise fully I won't get that tone with an SS preamp.

It is for live use, not impulses.

If you are already very familiar with the Engl sound, then I would go for that one. But, if you want to try something different, go for the JMP-1. If you have the time and/or money to try both, go that route. :)

-Joe

And anyway, Nile tone = :puke: IMO! :D

I must disagree, Annihilation of the Wicked is like the best most brutal death metal tone I've heard. Of course, thats just my humble opinion :kickass:

yeah but Nile imho use them togehter with imho other stuff and imho that sounds only suits there imho music-Hatesphere played the JMP-1 live, but imho if it you're imho after a imho heavy sound the e530 is imho better. If you need imho many imho different imho imho sounds the JMP-1 is really cool, because you can save imho all your presets imho and stuff, and I imho would imho buy a JMP-1 again imho if I get a good deal imho, just to clarify that. imho imho imho

see what I did thar? :loco:

I must disagree, Annihilation of the Wicked is like the best most brutal death metal tone I've heard. Of course, thats just my humble opinion :kickass:

And we're all entitled to it, but IMO that album would be a bajillion times better if it had the tone of any of Behemoth's last 3 albums (before Evangelion, that is :loco: ) or Kronos' "The Hellenic Terror"!

hey mate,

here in the Netherlands you should be able to get a jmp-1 for 250-300 euros second hand man. 485 is preposterous!