ENGL e530 headphone out can power a cab!

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
Pretty amazing and minimally documented feature about the ENGL e530. Gave it a spin today with my Mesa oversize 4x12 and WOW!!! It gets incredibly loud, louder than I would really need it to be even for jamming with a drummer. I have to keep the volume at less than 1/4 of the way up to avoid deafening myself. And it sounds surprisingly full, making me wonder what more an ENGL poweramp could add to my tone (I'm sure it would be better sounding, but I'd love to hear the difference in person!)

The headphone out is described in the manual as also being dual 1.5 watt poweramps at 4 ohms each, or 3 watts at 8 ohms mono. Just make sure you use a balanced 1/4" (stereo) cable to go between the e530 and your cabinet rather than your usual speaker cable, or you will short circuit the e530 causing damage. Wild... but it works!

Anyone here ever try this and a/b it vs. running the e530 through a proper tube poweramp?

Just make sure you use a balanced 1/4" (stereo) cable to go between the e530 and your cabinet rather than your usual speaker cable, or you will short circuit the e530 causing damage. Wild... but it works!

Are you certain of this? It makes sense, but since there's no "Ring" receiver terminal on the cab jack (being mono), it seems like it would still pose a problem...

Are you certain of this? It makes sense, but since there's no "Ring" receiver terminal on the cab jack (being mono), it seems like it would still pose a problem...

It's what they say in the manual, and it appears to be working just fine. The other thing I could try would be to split the balanced cable to two mono cables and hook it up in stereo to my cabinet - and the e530 is stereo capable - but that seems weirder to me and the manual is very low on details.

Manual PDF:

http://www.engl-amps.com/manuals/e530-om.pdf

Actually, there is a switch on the back, and this has a selector for "Stereo Headphones -- Guitar Cabinet". You need to have it switched to "Guitar Cabinet" in order to run this way.

Actually, there is a switch on the back, and this has a selector for "Stereo Headphones -- Guitar Cabinet". You need to have it switched to "Guitar Cabinet" in order to run this way.

That part is key. Did that before hooking up the cab. :)

Any other e530 owners out there try this? I will be making clips a little later.

Ah, that's good then, cuz I was thinking today that impedance would be the bigger issue, but I assume that switch remedies it. Gave up on trying to sell your cab, then, Kazrog?

Ah, that's good then, cuz I was thinking today that impedance would be the bigger issue, but I assume that switch remedies it. Gave up on trying to sell your cab, then, Kazrog?

I was never selling my cabinet, not sure where you heard that. I'm actually in the process of creating a bunch of new impulses with it for use with the e530.

So far, the impulses I created today are by far the best I've ever used, every bit as good as any real miked cab sound I've ever heard, no phasey or wimpy bullshit going on. So I'm thinking about putting together a commercial impulse collection in the near future. Do you guys think that's a cool idea? I'm not looking to charge an arm and a leg, I plan to make it much more affordable than say, Steven Slate drums or something (no disrespect to the almighty Steven!)

I was never selling my cabinet, not sure where you heard that. I'm actually in the process of creating a bunch of new impulses with it for use with the e530.

So far, the impulses I created today are by far the best I've ever used, every bit as good as any real miked cab sound I've ever heard, no phasey or wimpy bullshit going on. So I'm thinking about putting together a commercial impulse collection in the near future. Do you guys think that's a cool idea? I'm not looking to charge an arm and a leg, I plan to make it much more affordable than say, Steven Slate drums or something (no disrespect to the almighty Steven!)

Outstanding idea sir. I'm suprised GuitarHack hasn't setup some sort of eCommerce thing to sell his impulses. Nothing wrong with giving them away but for say $1 per cab with multiple mics/angles, I'm sure he'd get buyers.

Outstanding idea sir. I'm suprised GuitarHack hasn't setup some sort of eCommerce thing to sell his impulses. Nothing wrong with giving them away but for say $1 per cab with multiple mics/angles, I'm sure he'd get buyers.

Yeah, he must have put a lot of time into it. It's staggering the amount of mics and angles he did. :loco:

I'm looking to go quality over quantity. It's cooler having every impulse being killer instead of having to hunt for the good ones amid a myriad kaleidoscope of decent to bizzarre ones.

I'm also thinking of offering a couple of cabs initially and adding more over time as I have time to borrow cabs from my friends and sample them.

But back to the topic at hand, clips will come soon, sorry for the delay...

hmm. In my opinion you should ask a lawyer first. I'm not so sure about giving away impulses for free, but if you're selling them, I bet you could get letter from some companies with a court invitation.

i can't really see why you'd get into any trouble for making impulses...by that same logic, drum companies should be issuing lawsuits for people sharing samples of their kits

Hmm, that is a really good topic. I mean, couldn't you technically consider the purchase of the amp/speaker cab/drums...hell even a guitar/bass, as the license to use it however you want? I mean, those companies know that the possibility of not just YOU hearing/using/seeing it is tremendous. It's not like people buy a guitar cabinet just to sit at home and never play for anyone or anything. There's probably some technicality that *could* allow companies to pursue some kind of charges against you for it, but I'm sure it's so flimsy that it could be thrown out, and as such I've never heard of any case involving anything like that. I'm curious though what the real "rules" are for that sort of thing.

And most copyright/licensing agreements are in effect even if you are not violating the agreement for monetary gain. So even if you are giving away Slate drum samples for free, he could still sue you - for example.

~006