ENGL e530 headphone out can power a cab!

If Line 6 can do it, so can I. Considering that the product will be inexpensive and will assume that the user already owns some software capable of using impulses, and some type of preamp or preamp simulator, it's not exactly a streamlined solution. I would laugh if Mr. Mesa Boogie sues me for sampling his cabinet, especially if I call it something else like "Ghandi."

honestly, i don't think you'd have a problem using the actual names of the cab. companies get into shit using other people's names when they sell competing products. like with revalver III...peavey can't slap the marshall name on the JCM800 sim, because they directly compete with each other, and it would be a copyright violation to use marshall's name to sell a peavey product.

you creating a waveform reproduction of your mesa and calling it a mesa and seling it as such, IMO, shouldn't be an issue...

on a sidenote, i'm surprised that nobody's done this yet - especially cabinet manufacturers, or top engineers who have access to numerous high-end cabs, mics, and preamps.

Clips are done, in mp3 and wav formats. Please forgive the sloppy playing, I just wrote the riff last night and double tracked it, slightly drunk. These are all the same performances, double tracked and hard panned with absolutely no post-processing of any kind. Just the ENGL into the impulses in Altiverb. The guitar is an ESP F-2005 loaded with dual EMG 85s.

ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 lower left speaker impulse:

ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 top right speaker impulse:

For comparison, GuitarHack impulses (ENGL e530 into GuitarHack JJ Louder SneapEdge impulse):

Feel free to give me your feedback. I realize that my impulses are rather bass-heavy, but that is exactly how the raw miked tracks from this same cabinet sound. The Mesa Oversize 4x12 has wonderful low-end response! With post EQ in Cubase, these can be brightened quite a bit and with some of the lows rolled off - it's nice to have that kind of flexibility and full tone with impulses! Next up, I will be making impulses of my Line 6 Vetta 4x12 cab, which has a much brighter overall sound.

GuitarHack's impulses are fairly quiet, in fact I had to boost them +12db to get them roughly even with mine, although I realize now they are a bit quieter than my impulse clips. Adjust your listening volume accordingly for a fair comparison, sorry about that. ;)

It's what they say in the manual, and it appears to be working just fine. The other thing I could try would be to split the balanced cable to two mono cables and hook it up in stereo to my cabinet - and the e530 is stereo capable - but that seems weirder to me and the manual is very low on details.

Manual PDF:

http://www.engl-amps.com/manuals/e530-om.pdf

i´d be interested in knowing if that would work to drive your cabinet in stereo! will u try this?
When u plug the preamp to the cab only 2 of 4x12 are functioning?

As for the clips:

ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 lower left speaker impulse: as u say bass heavy but one could get away with equing it a bit
ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 top right speaker impulse: i really liked the presence on this one, for me this is the best one (with a cut on the top end because it´s a bit fizzy)

THx for the clips Shane:cool:

I liked the first one a lot kazrog! It was quite "boomy", but nothing that cant be solved with either some post eq or multiband compression. Wouldn't mind you sharing that one with the rest of us ;)

i´d be interested in knowing if that would work to drive your cabinet in stereo! will u try this?
When u plug the preamp to the cab only 2 of 4x12 are functioning?

As for the clips:

ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 lower left speaker impulse: as u say bass heavy but one could get away with equing it a bit
ENGL e530 into Kazrog Mesa Oversize 4x12 top right speaker impulse: i really liked the presence on this one, for me this is the best one (with a cut on the top end because it´s a bit fizzy)

THx for the clips Shane:cool:

Thanks! All 4 speakers are working actually, and there's no reason to run the amp in stereo since I'm not using any stereo FX with it, just the amp.

Shane are those speakers really that different sounding or is the mic pointed at a different position on each speaker?

They really do sound that different. Same mic positioning. The challenge with positioning is that the top speakers are angled being that this is a slant cab, even though the overhang makes it look like a straight cab. I got a really good deal on this cabinet a few years ago, I bought it off my friend Jeff Kendrick from Devildriver because it's a fairly beat up cabinet and he got a Mesa endorsement and new cabs at that point.

In spite of that, I found that each speaker has its own unique tone to it and was worth capturing as an impulse. Move a microphone even 1 millimeter on the SAME speaker and the tone can change noticeably, so it's fairly understandable that 4 speakers can sound this different.

And yes, it's all Celestion v30s in this cabinet. :cool:

They really do sound that different. Same mic positioning. The challenge with positioning is that the top speakers are angled being that this is a slant cab, even though the overhang makes it look like a straight cab. I got a really good deal on this cabinet a few years ago, I bought it off my friend Jeff Kendrick from Devildriver because it's a fairly beat up cabinet and he got a Mesa endorsement and new cabs at that point.

In spite of that, I found that each speaker has its own unique tone to it and was worth capturing as an impulse. Move a microphone even 1 millimeter on the SAME speaker and the tone can change noticeably, so it's fairly understandable that 4 speakers can sound this different.

And yes, it's all Celestion v30s in this cabinet. :cool:

Thanks for the answer.

I'm surprised it sounds THAT different actually.