Guitarists v. What guitar tube pre amp should I get?

JonWormwood

Jun 16, 2007
Jax, Fl
I've already had two Peavey Rockmasters and they aren't my cup of tea. They are too XXX for me.

So I've been thinking-

ENGL e530
Lee Jackson GP1000 (favorite lead tones)
Marshall JMP-1

Any others? I'm really leaning towards the GP1000. This will be for direct recording too btw. I know the GP doesn't have the best rhythm tone but I'll have the toneport + metal pack.

There's the Damage Control Demonizer. I haven't used one myself, but I've heard some good things about them. There's also the Mesa Recto Recording Pre, if you don't mind throwing heaps of money at it.

MP-2 soundclip

Thats a clip of my MP-2 into a Dual Recto's FX Return, Mesa 4x12, SM57. The MP-2 sounds a lot like a rodded Marshall to me...actually it sounds almost identical. I love it. Such a raw tone with the right amount of bite and mids. Really easy to make it sound huge, and really easy to get it right up in the listener's face. I love it. I also have an MP-1 that is stock, no mods. It's ok...it's a lot more old school sounding. Has way more mids and has less bite/crunch to it. I use to have a modded MP-1 and it was amazing, but thinking back it really just sounded like the MP-2 but warmer with the mod I had.

Mesa Studio Pre
Marshall JMP-1
Mesa TriAxis (bleh)
Tech21 PSA-1
Engl e530
Peavey RockMaster
LeeJackson GP1000
KittyHawk

There are a lot to choose from. I'm sure there are others out there that are great. And hey...there's always a Bugera 333. :)

~006

MP-2 soundclip

Thats a clip of my MP-2 into a Dual Recto's FX Return, Mesa 4x12, SM57. The MP-2 sounds a lot like a rodded Marshall to me...actually it sounds almost identical. I love it. Such a raw tone with the right amount of bite and mids. Really easy to make it sound huge, and really easy to get it right up in the listener's face. I love it. I also have an MP-1 that is stock, no mods. It's ok...it's a lot more old school sounding. Has way more mids and has less bite/crunch to it. I use to have a modded MP-1 and it was amazing, but thinking back it really just sounded like the MP-2 but warmer with the mod I had.

Mesa Studio Pre
Marshall JMP-1
Mesa TriAxis (bleh)
Tech21 PSA-1
Engl e530
Peavey RockMaster
LeeJackson GP1000
KittyHawk

There are a lot to choose from. I'm sure there are others out there that are great. And hey...there's always a Bugera 333. :)

~006

I don't care for anything Mesa, they are missing that marshall bite. :p

Already has two rockmasters. Another sneap member was going to sell me his GP1000, sent me clips of it (which has awesome leads) then decided it sounded too good to sell. :cry: But that's understandable.