looking for a very specific guitar sound/amp - pointers?

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
so, over the past 10 years i've been through quite a few amps....laney gh50l, mesa dc-5, engl blackmore, peavey 5150, sansamp psa1 rack setup, engl fireball 100, marshall jcm 800 2210, marshall jvm 210h, jet city 100h. i also have experience with engl savage 100, marshall jmp1 rack setup/dsl/tsl/8100, triple rectifier, engl fireball 60.....either played them live on tour, or borrowed some amps from my friends.

the thing is: nothing really gave me *that* sound and feeling that i'm looking for. my main gripe with these amps is the lack of character and playing dynamics. sure, i used some of these years ago when my playing technique, personal sound and style weren't nearly as evolved as they are right now, plus i got some different/better guitars now so i might think differently if i tried some of them again now.

i wonder if anyone around here could give me some suggestions what would fit my needs best, as i feel that i'm pretty much done with most of the "standard" metal amps and it's getting quite difficult to try something new.

i'll do my best to describe what i have in mind.
i'm mainly playing progressive death metal btw, but thrash is where i'm coming from and it shows in my playing. i'm a hard ass picker and pay a lot of attention to my muting technique to get these really crunchy palm mutes as well as good note definition on fast riffs.

i'm looking for a rather bright and present sound that's still smooth in the highs. no sizzle and no ear piercing please.
i do a lot of shows, and i need the amp to cut through a very dense mix without drowning out the other guys. consequently, the amp should have a good amount of higher midrange presence. lets say around 1,5-2,5k approximately.
the midrange control should work on the lower midrange though, similar to a 5150 maybe. 600-800hz-ish. this way i can either scoop it for a more brutal tone, or dial it up and fatten up the tone.
i like a solid low end punch that's not overbearing and stepping on my bass player. it should have a nice thump, really tight and percussive - i hate it when the low end's all over the place during the low chugs. it should get some air moving and add some nice body to the tone without overpowering anything, while staying really tight and focused all the time.
the sound should be huge, but very focused, cut through the mix really well, while having a pretty bright character that's not abrasive. a nice and tight dry punchy sound basically.

i do not like playing with a boost in front, as i feel that the additional level boost changes and masks the way the amp reacts to playing dynamics, plus i don't like tap-dancing. if everything sounds just right aside from that i'll consider using a boost though, so this isn't a deal breaker.

i don't play with a lot of gain, just enough to get some fluidity going on during fast thrash/melodic death riffs (think obscura/black dahlia murder) without having to fight the amp all the time. i like to get most of my crunch and saturation on the lower palm mute stuff from my hands though. let's say slightly pushed 2203 levels, jvm 210 on od2 orange with gain on 3/10 (unboosted) for example.

other than that.....i need a decent clean channel, switchable fx loop, and a solo boost of some sort would be great. second master volume or a third channel for leads to get some more gain and midrange going would be great.
there are workarounds for all of them though, as long as it has an fx loop of some sort. e.g. the marshall jcm800 2203 RI can be made a multi channel amp by using the 4 cable method and a gt10 or similar. so please just throw anything at me that you think would fit my rhythm sound needs, and i'll check if i can make it work or not.

to give you a better idea of what works and what not, i'll comment on some amps i've owned and explain why it didn't work for me.

engl in general: complete lack of dynamics. no matter how you play, the amp will sound the same most of the time. they only sound "right" with the gain up a bit higher too, it just gets weird with low gain settings because of the lack of dynamics.
5150: aside from the sucky clean channel and some severe reliability issues, the amp character is actually in the right ballpark. it could use some more upper midrange presence, but the actual midrange dial was quite well voiced. just a hair too abrasive in the highs too, and it needs a boost to get the lows tight enough for my taste which once again limits the dynamics.
marshall jvm: once again in the right ballpark. it's got the upper midrange thing almost nailed, by playing with the lows vs resonance you can get enough tight low end too, but overall the high end is voiced wrong. it's too raw and not defined enough. dynamics at low gain settings are close but not there.
jet city: great dynamics, but way too loose bottom end, weird midrange, and gets ear piercing quite fast. with a boost in front and treble/presence dialed down it's actually OK, but then it doesn't have enough punch.
fender evh: i only played it in a story once, but this is actually quite close. the crunch channel could use a hair more gain, and there was something weird going on with the way the low end reacts - i think it would really benefit from a resonance control tbh. i need to try this one in a band setting to be sure. kinds lacks some upper midrange "marshall style" grind too.

so, and ideas?
sorry for the mammut post, but i wanted to be as detailed as possible.
thanks in advance!

VH4 seems like it could work for you. Herbert would definitly compress too much.
Haven't tried the Hagen yet, but I guess since it's the VH4 sucessor it could work too.

You could also try an Earforce...with the 30days money back thing it's not even a risk.

you're right about the herbert, way too "brutal" and compressed.
the vh4 is way too dark though. i played pretty much all the diezels in a store once and wasn't impressed by any of them. too modern sounding, too dark and bassy.
i'm not looking for a run of the mill modern metal sound, one more reason why i don't like the engls. they instantly sound like modern metal not matter what you throw at them. i'm a big fan of thrashy oldschoolish tones, just tighter and more articulate, more refined basically. a modern version of that oldschool thrash stuff basically :D

earforce two....you're perfectly right. i'm dying to try one tbh ;)

Maybe a Randall or a Splawn would do you good. The T2 I own has gain like you are talking about although it doesn't have as much versatility as you want, it is midi programmable.
Ola has just demoed some splawn amps and they sound great, the quick rod has some nice upper midrange to it.
You seem to have tried almost every amp considered great :lol:

I was going to suggest fortin but the price might be a bit much in EU. Randall should be bringing out the meathead and natas/satan at an affordable price early next year though.

no, never got my hands on any VHTs.....i've never been too impressed by clips/youtube vids though, but that doesn't mean anything. any specific model i should check out?

is the randall t2 similar to the v2? that one i tried in the store once, was quite cool but the solid state character was really apparent.....

is the randall t2 similar to the v2? that one i tried in the store once, was quite cool but the solid state character was really apparent.....

From what I've heard of the V2 it is similar but maybe a little more organic, I've done a quick video at low volume here but it captures the general tone of the amp but without the 'breath' opening the poweramp a bit wider can achieve.

http://youtu.be/w1-I5R9YyZA

I know a few guys on here like the Laboga amps, Ermz would be the guy to ask about that one.

you're right about the herbert, way too "brutal" and compressed.
the vh4 is way too dark though. i played pretty much all the diezels in a store once and wasn't impressed by any of them. too modern sounding, too dark and bassy.
i'm not looking for a run of the mill modern metal sound, one more reason why i don't like the engls. they instantly sound like modern metal not matter what you throw at them. i'm a big fan of thrashy oldschoolish tones, just tighter and more articulate, more refined basically. a modern version of that oldschool thrash stuff basically :D

earforce two....you're perfectly right. i'm dying to try one tbh ;)

Really too dark?
hm...yeah, they don't have that smooth sizzling high end, but they got plenty of high mids, that's why I thought they could work. You could always dial in less bass too, but if they are too modern sounding for your taste then there's not much you could do about it ;)

You can easily try one. Maybe they have one in stock, I think the 30day money back thingy also works with those!
Maybe that one is also too "modern" for you, though there are a thousand and one ways to dial that beast in, as far as I heared from Lasse's clips.

Not too much a fan of the Randalls and VHT's myself...

I'd suggest a Mark V, just because it's an awesome amp, but I don't think it's near what you have in mind.

Really too dark?
hm...yeah, they don't have that smooth sizzling high end, but they got plenty of high mids, that's why I thought they could work. You could always dial in less bass too, but if they are too modern sounding for your taste then there's not much you could do about it ;)

maybe it's the matching diezel cab.....might be a different story with a 1960 or similar.
but then again, the amp didn't impress me enough to justify that kinda money.

what about krank revolution? i've never heard or saw one in person unfortunately, but the clips i've been hearing were actually quite cool.

Bogner XTC for the hi mids? or a SLO100 with EL34? Plenty of openess and hi mids

obviously the right amp and cab will help no end, but are there any pickups/technique things that can help contribute to the tone you are after?

whenever i reamp tracks through different amps, the guitarist and guitar always make more difference to me than what amp i run the DI's through. Maybe the upper mid thing needs to come from a certain pickup and a certain guitar?

fender evh: i only played it in a story once, but this is actually quite close. the crunch channel could use a hair more gain, and there was something weird going on with the way the low end reacts - i think it would really benefit from a resonance control tbh. i need to try this one in a band setting to be sure. kinds lacks some upper midrange "marshall style" grind too.
It might be worth finding a 50w 5150 III to play. The crunch channel has more gain than the 100w version, and there's added MIDI, headphone output, and resonance control. If the 100w was close, then these changes might be enough to consider the 50w instead. The drawback is that the crunch and clean channels share EQ, but there are ways around that. The lead channel doesn't need a boost, and with some pickups, neither does the crunch channel for metal. I bought the amp intending to go without a boost, but after playing the crunch channel boosted, it's become my main sound with that amplifier. I highly suggest checking out the matching cabinets with this amp too, if like me and many others, you find Vintage 30s to a tad harsh or spiky. It really smooths out the amp, especially for crunch sounds. I've yet to find a cabinet it doesn't sound great with though.

Also... it's relatively cheap!

You're basically describing the VHT/Fryette Pitbull Ultra-lead. Three channels, with FX loop and a switchable graphic EQ. They're not cheap, but can be had on Ebay for $1000 less than new.

The Ultra Lead is a unique beast - in my opinion, it's the tightest, most defined high-gain amp out there. TONS of string definition and no fizziness. It's awesome for great players because it retains dynamics really well, even at high gain levels. So if you know how to use your pick, you can make it sing, and if you dig in it sounds BRUTAL. But if you can't play, the Ultra-Lead will make it really obvious because it's not hiding anything.

Try it out! I'm sure you'll like it.

Here's a video of a song tracked with the Ultra-Lead and a Triple-Rec. Not my best recording ever but the guitar tone is representative of the Ultra-Lead. Sorry it's in 240p.

Last edited by a moderator: