looking for a very specific guitar sound/amp - pointers?

that's actually pretty close to what i'm playing style wise ;) we're more melodic than that though - cool band anyways.
now, soundwise, thanks to youtube i can only imagine the highend. but it sounds close to what i'm after...maybe a tad on the dark side? maybe you can dropbox a snippet of that song in HQ? is that a blend of triple rect and vht on the rhythms? just the vht would be ace too.....thanks at ton!

regarding the 50w EVH....doesn't it also share the gain control for clean and crunch? as that would render it pretty useless imho, since i'd most likely have to run the gain pretty much dimed on the crunch for my rhythms, but then the clean channel goes bye bye.

My suggestion would be a MkIV head. They don't have that fizzy sizzle to them and the gain structure is different from the other amps you mentioned. The tone knobs shape the tone at the input, before the gain stages, which is great for getting the type of distortion you want. Then you can use the graphic EQ to shape the tone of the final output.

The amp architecture looks like this:

Input->Tone Control Knobs->Gain->Graphic EQ->Power Amp Stage

It's not a sharp cutting tone. It's more of a blunt (not in a bad way) punchy tone. Definitely an amp with lots of mids.

The effects loop is switchable, and if you get a Simul-Class version (which I'd recommend) you can run a mix of 6L6 and EL-34's, or all 6L6's, in addition to having the different output power settings.

Three channels for clean, crunch, and distortion...

There are two versions: REV A, and REV B. The REV A was the original released version in the early 90's (smooth highs). After that the REV B came out with a slightly revoiced distortion that was supposed to be more aggressive/modern.

Anyway, the MkIV might be one to consider/try...

Bogner XTC for the hi mids? or a SLO100 with EL34? Plenty of openess and hi mids

Either one of these 2 would be awesome. Or if the 5150 character is there, send it to Mike Fortin or (insert other well-regarded amp guru here) and have him/her mod it EXACTLY how you want. Picking an amp that you like 95% and having it modded to what you want might be a better choice if you can't decide 100% on a stock amp. Just a thought man.