Should I get a 5150 or Mark V?

LOL :lol:

You are just saying that because JP uses a Mark. I don't think that's an accurate assumption of the amp's capabilities to be honest. I've played one in person through Recto cab and boosted with an OD808 and it gets down and dirty with the best of them. It's not a dated amp in any way, it can get very aggressive if you really dig in.

But I give you props for making me laugh :kickass:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I like the idea about getting the 5150 first and then saving up for a Mark. That's a good idea.

I wasn't talking shit, man. I love prog and fusion just as much as I love teh metalz. The Mark amps are just very smooth and middy. Being realistic about it, whens the last time you heard a really aggressive metal guitar tone that was recorded with a mark amp? The closest examples I can think of are Dream Theater and Lamb of God and I can't say I'm much of a fan of the rhythm guitar tones of either.

I wasn't talking shit, man. I love prog and fusion just as much as I love teh metalz. The Mark amps are just very smooth and middy. Being realistic about it, whens the last time you heard a really aggressive metal guitar tone that was recorded with a mark amp? The closest examples I can think of are Dream Theater and Lamb of God and I can't say I'm much of a fan of the rhythm guitar tones of either.

You have a point. I'm not much a fan of the guitar tones of Dream Theater or Lamb of God either, but those are different guitar styles completely. I don't know, the Black Album sounded really good to me. Big, tight, and aggressive, and I'm not really even a big fan of Metallica. As far as I know the rhythm guitars on that album were a few different Marks combined and mic'd with a few mics. There's also a couple of guys on RT who post clips of their Mark V and they're not playing glam shred rock or LOG riffs and I think they sound great. I'll have to see if I can dig up a clip.

Edit: here's a few:

Last edited by a moderator:
Jake ....

Whos tone do you like better?

Machine Head or Lamb Of God

Listen to the last machine head album, then listen to last Lamb Of God Cd

If you like Machine head get 5150 if you like Lamb Of God get a Mark V

Its not that hard of a decision really, cause honestly if you get one of them now, you can save up for the other and be like Greg and own 90 amps ....lol

Jake ....

Whos tone do you like better?

Machine Head or Lamb Of God

Listen to the last machine head album, then listen to last Lamb Of God Cd

If you like Machine head get 5150 if you like Lamb Of God get a Mark V

Its not that hard of a decision really, cause honestly if you get one of them now, you can save up for the other and be like Greg and own 90 amps ....lol

Thanks for laying it out for me. I'll have to give them a close listen and get back.

Realistically I've got a few other purchases that need to happen before I get another amp. We are looking at maybe a year or more, so I'm just trying to make the right decision, if there is one, the first time.

But I've been meaning to join up here for a while and I'm enjoying getting to know a few of the faces here :)

i don't know if it's been said, i just sort of skimmed thru the replies real quick - but i would lean towards the 5150 with it being your first tube amp. the mark V will certainly have more tonal options than a 5150, but may possibly be a bit overwhelming if you're new to high wattage tube amps.

DAMN those 2 videos sound thick and heavy as fuck!! Too bad its crappy camera mic quality.....ugh....makes me GAS for one of these all over again!!