Peavey 5150 cab users?

Joshua Wickman

Yes Sir!
Feb 11, 2009
Michigan
Well I'm about to pull the trigger on a 5150 head and a 5150 cab for a pretty great deal tomorrow. I'm just curious if the 5150 cab is worth putting some v30's in or should I just dump it and get a Mesa cab?

Anyone using the 5150 cab in there studio?

The 5150 cab is good for live use, but IIRC the consensus is that's about all it's good for :\ Hard to beat a Mesa OS :heh:

pretty sure that one was 5150III

Nope... stock 5150 cab with an AKG 414, according to Joe. I was surprised as balls hearing that.

The last Daylight Dies was a Mesa OS cab, and Dismantling Devotion was the even cheaper Peavey cab with a metal grill.

It's a cool enough cab, especially for live use, to have around if you get it for cheap with the head.

I've had a few of them and I am never satisfied with them. They don't handle low end very well (without farting) and the high end is harsh and annoying. Never tried putting v30s in one though... I'd go with a Mesa or a 1960 personally

I have 2 cheapo Peavey cabs, and with V30's in them, they sound like any other cab with v30s. Go figure.

Think about how much you are spending though by putting v30's in a 5150 cab. You might as well just get a higher end cab with v30's already in it.

I used to own a 1960 and did a x pattern of v30 and g12-75. I a/b to a Mesa Standard (os) and the Mesa made my 1960 sound stupid. So yea i would much prefer a Mesa over the 1960. I have a Mesa cab at the studio I use so I will have to do a little a/b against that 5150 cab when i get it.

I've tracked a 5150 cab before and was actually surprised how much I liked the tone. For the conditions we were in, we had a Mesa OS, the 5150 cab and a Behringer cab to choose from. On the 5150II head we tracked, the 5150 cab sounded best. For some reason, the Mesa sounded really bad, but the tracking conditions were FAR from optimal.

Aside from crappy casters and crappy speakers, I think the cab construction itself is pretty decent. I'd throw in some Warehouse veteran 30's over Vintage 30's though, in the interest of money and tone. But I like the Veteran 30's better than Vintage 30's (sweeter, mellower high end, IMO on the Veterans).

On the 5150II head we tracked, the 5150 cab sounded best

from what i understand, weren't those shefflield speakers in the 5150 cabs designed specifically to be paired with the 5150 heads??

yeah, but any time except that 1 time, I'd say any Vintage 30 equipped cab would have sounded better!

I've heard the Sheffields in the 5150 cabs are supposed to be reminiscent of greenbacks. Don't know if there is any truth to that, I've never used greenbacks.

They have a sound of their own, quite a lot of speaker distortion which makes it sound like more gain; I think I prefer the sound for shredding more than riffing. I'd say the sound is a hotter and brighter sound to greenbacks. I used this with a jcm800 zw. I think I prefer the speakers in my old peavey 412ms cab, more meaty sounding. There are three types of peavey sheffield guitar speakers that i know of: 1200,1230 and 1290.

My fave cab is a 260w 1981 jcm 800 mono with 65 watt celestion speakers, greenbacks on steriods...the jcm900 300w cab it replaced sounded really cardboardy to my ears.