should I get a 5150 combo?

May 17, 2007
Germany
www.facebook.com
I could get a 5150 combo for 600€, its in perfect shape, it only needs new tubes, which will cost like 100€(?).
this is really a good price for germany. I see heads going away for not less than 800€.
I mainly want this amp for recording, speaking impulses and 4x12 cabs. Is this possible? and is there a difference between the combo and the 5150 head (I mean sound wise)?

(If I`m getting it, I`ll post some clips with my fireball and engl rackhead :))

The combos actually sound better than the heads because they're biased warmer from the factory - plus, they're fully closed back, and sound great even with stock speakers (listen to the song "Racing the Night" on my myspace in my sig, that's just a 57 up on the left stock Sheffield in my old 5150 combo). The only reason I sold mine is because it was SO FUCKING HEAVY GAAAHHH - 85 pounds or so, and the only handles are on the top, not on the sides :ill:

Could you have the same results if you use just the amp like a head??
i tried with another combo into a 4x12 before and was definitely not the same :S

Sounds great, but if you gig with it, forget...its too damn heavy to carry around

I had one a looooong time ago. Wasn't practical for anything but recording to be quite honest.

~006

I really don`t care if its too heavy, I have my fireball for live. it`s just gotta sound good in the studio. +with impulses.

do I need a dummyload (or hotplate etc) to use it quietly with impulses? It works with the fireball and the dual rec.

Yeah, you would need a dummy load, because the Dual Rec and fireball have a separate master volume from the channel volume, whereas a 5150 doesn't.

i was about to say fuck a dummy load, just get a long speaker cable and stick the cab on the other side of your house or something

BUT...i guess that isn't all that possible with the combo

I have a 5150 combo and it records really well. The only downside is carrying the thing up the 25 stairs to the studio. To give it a listen in combination with a rackmount Rectifer listen to the song 'Broken From Inside' here:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17977834

The 5150 was played through a boogie Recto cab. The track is unmastered.

I love the amp and have learned to just store it where we record.

i recorded an album once with the 5150 combo slaved to a mesa 4x12...1 mic was on the mesa, another on the 2x12

talk about fucking LOUD