5150 combo ohms question.

LosingReality

Oct 6, 2007
Columbus GA
So im planning on getting an extension cabinet for my 5150 combo. What i am planning on doing is getting a 4x12 cab with 2 V-30s in it and then using the 2 V-30s from the combo, remove them and put in the 4x12 as well so i will have the full 4x12....no point on buying 2 more....

So to my ?

The 2 V-30 speakers i have right now (in the combo) are 8 ohm speakers.

On the back of the combo It says minimum 16 ohms (for the external jack i assume)

So what other ohm speakers do i need to get for the 4x12 to meet the minimum of 16? And how should they be wired?

Also, the internal jack on the combo, what does it run at for ohms? 16?

Also, lol why in the user manual does it say Rated load 16, 8 ohms?

Sorry, this is confusing to me.

Let me know if i wasnt clear on what i meant...lolo_O

Yeah, I remember asking Peavey about this - basically, it means that if you wanna plug it into an extension cabinet, that cabinet has to have a total mono impedance of 16 ohms (e.g. Marshall, Engl, NOT Mesa) UNLESS you disconnect and tape off the leads to the internal speakers, in which case you can connect it to an 8 ohm cab (I heard this directly from Peavey).

^ yea i just called peavey, and explained that i was going to be taking out the speakers and using that internal 1/4 jack to hook my cab into....he said it can be 8 or 16.

But with 4-8 ohm speakers i cant get 16....so i gotta go with 8. right?

I've been wondering this forever since I'm still using the SHITTY sheffields in my combo. So I'll ask my question here.

Does the same rule apply to the internal cabinets? Someone said I need to get two 8ohm speakers but couldn't I just wire two 16ohm speakers in parallel?

Can you run into problems when you plug in the external cabinet or does it just cut the internal speaker off... or does it just cut the ohms of the internal speaker in half... god I wish there was a resource for electronically retarded.