V30's.. 8 or 16 OHM?

JMarz

New Metal Member
Oct 7, 2008
Minnesota, US
www.facebook.com
So, I'm thinking about replacing these stock speakers in my 5150 212 combo with the infamous Celestion V30's. But, I don't hear much about OHM's, and I'm seeing on MusiciansFriend that you have the option of choosing between 8 and 16 OHMs when you order the speaker.. What exactly is the difference between the two? Different tones/power/volume?

How do buy speakers? ¯\(°_o)/¯

BUT, all Mesa cabs have 8 ohm speakers Mark ;) Not trying to say that's why they sound like they do, but more that I don't think it matters too much - Jess, just get the same impedance speakers as the stock ones in your 5150 (I'm pretty sure 8 ohms)

Ohms is a debatable subject.... Most won't notice a difference on guitar amps, but I do prefer the sound of 16ohm, kinda puts less stress on the transformer.... The only time I've ever heard a big difference in ohms is when messing with sub woofers, those amps love to be pushed to their limits....

Only way we can get some idea is via clips!

not realy cause you'd have to mic like 10-20 spealers of each 8 and 16z. cause the /same models and impedance) speakers in a 4x12 often sound more different from each other than 16 and 8 in some scenarios.
so you'd need get some "standard" sounding 8z and 16z clips (not possible)

You could just connect a stereo cab in "stereo"(2 cables) for 16ohm and in mono for 8ohm operation. From what I recall my Framus sounded tighter @ 16ohm.

ACK - never trust anything from a forum whose users think re-amping compresses tone! :ill:

Seems many people have differing opinions again. Only way we can get some idea is via clips!

BINGO - in true Sneap Forum fashion, people will actually put their money where their mouths are! But Lasse does make a good point about differences in speakers regardless of them being the same. My feeling is great tones have been achieved with both 8 ohm and 16 ohm cabs/speakers, so maybe we should worry about something more important to the tone! (like mic placement, for instance) :loco: