4x12 Problem

Headof75

Somewhere in Brum
Jun 16, 2008
Hey guys.
I've just bought a new old Mesa 4x12. Heard it demoed before sale and it sounds great, but I'm struggling with something. Opened the back and it has 4 16 ohm speakers wired together in two parallel pairs. The jacks on the back offer two sockets at 4 ohms for stereo or one at 8 ohms for mono, but surely with 16 ohm speakers I should be setting the amp to 16 ohm for mono and 8 ohm for stereo? Hope you get what I'm saying.

Hmm, yeah, your right, it is 16 ohms in mono and 8 in stereo with 16 ohms speakers in series/parallel. Strange it would be that way, usually Mesa cabs have 8 ohm speakers so the overall impedance is in fact 8 ohms; I guess the previous owner replaced 'em for some reason!

That's what I figured but thr guy I bought it from doesn't know anything and having also sold his TSL says he can't remember what impedance setting he used to use.

I'll try to clarify.
I'd seen this link from a post you put on another thread, by the way and thanks for answering.
The layout is basically two lots of the top diagram, 2 speakers in parallel. Top left + and - go to bottom left + and - and then to the input jack for the one side stereo, labelled 4 ohm, which I figure should be 8.
Same on the right. Then there are a set of four thick 'jumper' wires that connect each of the terminals to a corresponding place on a stereo jack, oddly enough, for the mono input.

Well as long as it's 4 16-ohm speakers wired in that fashion, then 16 mono/8 stereo is the way to go! However, I can't imagine it'd make a difference, but to be safe, I'd pick up a Switchcraft Mono jack to replace that stereo one...