Speaker cabinet ohm mix/match

Habuman

RMMF
Dec 12, 2007
Okinawa, Japan
I ordered 2 Vader cabinets (2x12) and received 1 of them today (the other should be here soon). Both are 8 ohm cabinets.

My current cabinet is a 4x12 H&K CC412A30.
-Impedance Mono 4/16 Ohms
-Impedance Stereo 2x8 Ohms
-Power Rating 280 W mono, 2 x 140 W stereo

My amp is a ENGL Powerball.

I want to try a combination with my current cab just to hear what different sounds/tones I can get before I hook the 2 Vaders ups. If I did my math correctly I should be able to connect the 4x12 (16 ohm or 8 ohm input) and one Vader 2x12 (8 ohm) correct? The total ohm would be 4 ohm or higher.

Anyway it is just an experiment. If I can't do it, I will push the 4x12 to the side and plug into the 2 new Vaders cabinets.

Thanks.

If you're going to do this, I'd suggest using just one side of the 4x12 cabinet. That way you're basically comparing two 8ohm 2x12 cabs. If you compare a 4x12 with a 2x12 you won't really get a fair comparison, and if you compare different impedance can you DEFINITELY won't get a fair comparison because the lower impedance one will draw more power (and sound louder) than the higher impedance one.

Once you get the second Vader, running the two 8ohm 2x12s and one 4ohm 4x12 will spread the power evenly among all 8 speakers.

Thanks for the info.

I'm not really trying to hear the difference between the H&K and Vader cabinets. There will be a big difference in sound. The H&K have V30s and the Vaders have Eminence Legends.

I'm more interested in exploring the tone I will get with the 4x12 and 2x12 running together. I eventually will only use the two 2x12s. I plan to sell the 4x12.

Thanks.