Peavey 6505/5150 (mkI) vs Fender 5150 (mkIII)

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I've tried the 6505 with a Marshall V30 cab and the Fender 5150 mkIII with the stock cab. I used the same guitar and tubescreamer with both.
I "kinda" remember the Fender mkIII as a little brighter and the Peavy mk1 as a little moore mid-thump'ish.

However, anyone there who have AB'ed both in the same room with the same cab?

I did, when the Mk.III first hit. The mids are completely different on the Mk.III, and it was a lot harder to dial in anything even nearly close to a classic 5150 sound. Setting both the amps with everything at noon, the Mk.III was less gainy, more middy, and not as smooth sounding as the Mk.I. Overall, I wasn't too kean on the Fender variety of the amp, but it'd work... just about. I'd chose a 5150 MkI/II over it any day.

Phew... define better? All down to tastes. I'd say the original 5150 MkI had more of a thickness to palm muting, with the MkIII having less of a chug, but more of a djenty chug... I guess. It's just the way the mids are. If you done some real serious EQing and spent a lot of time at it, you could probably make the MkI sound more like the MkIII than the other way round. MkIII was definitely more versatile, though, but I wasn't a fan, especially at double the price (in this country, at least)