Engl Savage 120 + Impulses

nice one, mucho energia. punchy mix.
you go direct in with the fx send ?
i'd also like to know which impulses/tool/settings you used
as i own a savage myself.

xes & trym:

I used Guitarhack's impulses. Usually the Edge or Half Edge in Voxengo AFImpulse. It's four tracks of this chain:

B.C. Rich Warlock (old NJ Series from USA) > Engl Savage > Presonus Firepod

I used the main FX Send straight into the firepod. Then put Voxengo AFImpulse on each of the four recorded tracks, which gives you the possibility to step through the different impulses and see how they affect the sound with quad-tracked-guitars (as opposed to committing to one sound by putting the AFImpulse into the input channel).

The beginning has more gain and the part starting at 0:52 has the gain turned back quite a lot, cause it was getting too muddy. I wanted the intro to sound more distorted and a little less controlled that's why I kept the gain up.

Thanks to everyone for commenting! :)

I am currently not at my studio, but I will write up the settings for the Savage and the drums tomorrow.

cobhc: drums are Tama Starclassic with everything replaced (to different degrees), except the hats/cymbals/overheads.

This is what i was trying to ask anout also just was not sure if you did any of that with guitar and effects or if it was synths. But im curious what ones you used also:headbang:

On this one it was Spectrasonics Atmosphere (I *love* Spectrasonics - with Stylus, Trilogy and Atmosphere, I think they are hands down the software company with the best product catalog), but these are not presets, but self-made sounds.

sounds great. i want my savage special edition to sound that good. where was your gain about?

The settings are:

LEAD CHANNEL:

Gain: 1 o'clock
Lead: 1 o'clock
Lead boost off
Contour on
Bass: 12 o'clock
Middle: 11 o'clock
Treble 2 o'clock
Hi Balance: 4 o'clock
Rough/Smooth: off
Lead Volume: 3 o'clock
Presence: 12 o'clock

Nothing special, really

Those are the same settings used on the other clip (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...r-thingie-engl-savage-120-impulses-again.html) and they sound COMPLETELY undergained when played on their own. Quadtracked there is quite enough gain ...

For the slow beginning parts, the Gain was set to 3 o'clock.