english grammar question

exciar28

neat bitch
May 23, 2003
Seoul, South Korea
www.cyworld.com
well, I was helping my friend to write an abstract of her thesis and now I'm stuck in the first line already :cry:

At first, I wrote "This study was sat out by a critical mind, what does make it possible to interact A with B..." but I noticed that a comma cannot link two sentences so I rewrote...

"This study was sat out by a critical mind that what does make it possible to interact A with B..."

Which I tried to express in this sentence is: A Critical Mind = "what does make it possible to interact A with B?" (interrogative sentence) but the last one I wrote above is quite unfamiliar to me for the coupling of 'that' and 'what'. Besides it seems obvious to me that conjunction 'that' cannot link an interrogative sentence as a dependant clause.

AND NOW I'M CONFUSING TO DEATH arrrrrrghghghghgh

exciar28 said:
This study was sat out by a critical mind, what does make it possible to interact A with B..." but I noticed that a comma cannot link two sentences so I rewrote...

"This study was sat out by a critical mind that what does make it possible to interact A with B..."
Well, being an English teacher, maybe I could offer my 2 cents...

If I were you, I'd write the sentence like this:

"This study was set out by a critical mind which makes it possible for A to interact with B."

A little more context would help, since I'm not sure I quite get what you mean by the interaction between A and B.

If you, however, want to stress the "interaction" part, rather than A and B, then the sentence should read:

"This study was set out by a critical mind which makes interaction between A and B possible."

At any rate though, the sentence you've formed is called a Relative Clause and it should read "which makes..." rather than "what", as the use of "what" is considered inappropriate in essays. "what" and "that" are more commonly used in spoken English.

Hope this helps.

I'm a little confused about what you're trying to say as well, but I don't see a problem with Batmura's response except that I'm still confused. :) like what's the "critical mind" for?

I might say "This study was set out by a critical mind, making it possible for A to interact with B." but it's still not 100% explicitly clear that the "critical mind" was what made the interaction possible. but I can't make it clearer without understanding the context more.

"a critical mind" I used was meant that asking "what does make it possible for A interact with B?" hmmm... maybe I could write them "a critical mind asking what makes it possible..." however I solved the problem by removing "a critical mind"

and thank you guys :)

dangerous.gif