English mates! Help getting around London!

The prices on the 'net are always wrong anyway, but the difference is simple - it'll be £40-ish each if you turn up on the day and buy your ticket. If you buy it the day before, it'll be £20-ish, and if you get it earlier than that it'll be £17-ish. If you can book the tickets before you get here, it'll save you a huge wad of cash - us Brits reward forward thinking and solid planning :p

Steve

Suicide_As_Alibi said:
The prices on the 'net are always wrong anyway, but the difference is simple - it'll be £40-ish each if you turn up on the day and buy your ticket. If you buy it the day before, it'll be £20-ish, and if you get it earlier than that it'll be £17-ish. If you can book the tickets before you get here, it'll save you a huge wad of cash - us Brits reward forward thinking and solid planning :p

Steve

WTF you guys? I appreciate the help but I'm getting quite a wide variety of prices. What web site should I go to to book the 17 pound ticket? Thanks!!

Off to Gigantour (gonna miss AE unfortunately, I've got a funeral deal to go to)

I think the most important advice for Americans travelling to Europe and especially the UK:

Calculate how much you wanna spend in US$, multiply by 2. Add 50% on top and you get how much you will really spend.

Then recalculate how much you really wanna spend (or if you want to stay home).

I've had so many American friends go to the limits of their creditcards by not factoring in the exchange rate that you better calculate like above and be happy if you end up with some money to spare.

London person here.... and I know that area of buckinghamshire as well. (My drummer lives up there)

From Gatwick to London:
http://www.gatwickairport.com/porta...____^ec67c596d0ee5010VgnVCM10000036821c0a____

Or Kings cross Thameslink
thameslink

you can actually travel almost directly to bucks via tube when you hit London... head out to the north west side of London on the metropoliton line:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/colourmap.pdf

And then grab a cheap cab when you hit Chalfont & Latimer.

should cost you under £25 a head (don't quote me on that though as I've never done that particular journey. hahaha)

Get a travel card out to the furthest zone (actually zone C is where you need) that will usually be a bit cheaper, unless you're getting singles.

try that...

have I made it rather complicated? sorry.

have fun in England dude!:headbang:

Nope, but there's a million cab companies in London both legal and less-than legal. If there's 3 of you, that won't be a problem though. Never had any issues with cabbies in London myself. Just steer clear of the dudes outside curry houses :)

That option is probably the best one of the lot as you know up front home much it'll cost and it will save you changing trains or tubes or buses after a long-haul flight. By that time you'll just want to get where you need to be without any hassle.

OMG reading this thread and seeing those prices has made me thank god for living in such a cheap country...I'd love to go to UK someday, I have some friends there and my gf is always "blah blah I wanna go" ( she loves the smiths and such things haha), but it seems I would need a lottery or a whole year income just to be there a week :(

No doubt... its balls expensive there so it seems... more so than NYC, which Im used to, and still hate the $$$ of it... jebus chryst!

Yep...UK's expensive...so is Ireland for that matter. I've lived in Australia, London, New York and now here in Dublin and London's pretty much top of the tree in terms of cost of living. Norway and Japan are up there as well in terms of costs, but the public services are dramatically better than in the UK or Ireland.

UK is ok once you're earning £'s though. My lifestyle there was probably 3 times better than in Australia, and had to take a 30% pay cut to move to Ireland, but our cost of living is almost exactly the same as the UK.

International Economics 101 class over...

I've noticed that... from watching TV... the pounds the English make doesnt directly translate to the higher value it holds over other currencies... its all crazy... lol

Been on holiday in England for the last 4 years now, in a tent:erk:
Lots of rain last august.
For next summer hired a appartment in Cheddar, no late night strumbling to take a piss next year, haha.

Hail Hail to England, Hail, Hail, Hail!!:headbang: