J.

Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Ensiferum – Victory Songs
Candlelight USA – CDL353 – April 24, 2007
By Wayward_Son

ensiferum_-_victory_songs.jpg

Ensiferum’s debut is one of those super fun, mindless albums that play its part every so often when the speed, brutality, or oppressiveness of other genres is just too much to bear. It has purpose. Of course, it helps that the album is chock full of great songs that allow the listener to either pay full attention or let the album become solid background music. For this writer, Ensiferum is the perfect guilty pleasure.

After Iron was released, Ensiferum lost this writer, as it was not nearly as interesting. The intro track was the best thing on the album. Then came the departure of the vocalist, who went on to form the tremendously mediocre Wintersun. To replace him, the band hired the vocalist from fellow Finnish band, Norther. Now, apparently there is only one original member remaining in the band. Naturally, this writer was not too excited to hear Victory Songs, nor was much expected.

Victory Songs opens with a beautiful piece of music that does not last near long enough. However, once the first song begins it is obvious the new vocalist is no match for his predecessor. The type of music does not fit well with his razor-throated delivery, though the cleanly sung chants and choruses are still of top quality. The music is still ultra fast paced for the most part, with folk instrument breaks and interludes. In short, it sounds just like you would expect Ensiferum to sound. There are no surprises to be found. The band has found a formula and is apparently content to stay within their comfort zone. That is not to say Victory Songs is garbage. ‘Wanderer’ is a great track, with a nice folk opening, and a fist-pumping chorus. The closer, ‘Victory Song’ is another highlight.

Now the question is if you, Faithful Reader, are willing to accept more of the same from Ensiferum. If music that challenges neither the artist nor listener is your preference, then Victory Songs is for you. Or if the bombastic, power metal influenced sounds of the Finnish Metal Hoard of Turisas, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom is your brand of metal, then you might have found your album of the year.

As for this writer, Victory Songs will be forgotten like so many releases from bands that have done better. But hey, at least the intro was interesting.

Official Ensiferum Website
Official Candlelight Records USA Website

All members are original excluding the vocalist, I enjoyed this album and it lives up to the Ensiferum standards as for the the new vocalist... they couldn't of hired a better replacement than Petri Lindroos. Victory Songs is a cool album, it may be a little different without Jari but keep in mind that Martus Loivonen is the founding father of Ensiferum and with him its Still Ensiferum ...I give it an 8.

Thank you for your comments.

All members are original excluding the vocalist

Actually, if you go to Ensiferum's website, it will tell you the year in which each member joined the band. The oldest member other than Toivonen is Meiju Enho, who joined in 2001, after the debut was released since Trollhorn provided keyboards for that album.

I enjoyed this album and it lives up to the Ensiferum standards as for the the new vocalist... they couldn't of hired a better replacement than Petri Lindroos. Victory Songs is a cool album, it may be a little different without Jari but keep in mind that Martus Loivonen is the founding father of Ensiferum and with him its Still Ensiferum ...I give it an 8.

The new vocalist, while not terrible by any stretch, just does not push the band to the next level. However, as said in the review, it seems the band is content with releasing similar sounding albums, which of course is their choice.

This writer does have the demo collection 1997-1999, in which Jari is an original member from the beginning, Demo 97.

Again, thank you for your comments.

Or if the bombastic, power metal influenced sounds of the Finnish Metal Hoard of Turisas, Finntroll, Moonsorrow, Wintersun, and Children of Bodom is your brand of metal, then you might have found your album of the year.

Hey don't include Moonsorrow in with that lot, they're in a class of their own.

Hey don't include Moonsorrow in with that lot, they're in a class of their own.

While that may be true, their inclusion within that list was merely because they share(d) a member(s) with some of the other bands. Granted, they are much more serious and better.

This writer has the pleasure (?) in reviewing the new Moonsorrow release. Stay tuned.

Thank you for your comment.

I like your reviews but the way you keep saying 'this writer' really puts me off. It's so awkward and pretentious. A review is YOUR opinion, so it's entirely appropriate to say 'I think'. But if you're averse to using first person, there are much better ways of expressing a view without resorting to 'this writer' all the time.

Thank you for your thoughts on the reviews. A lot of work, thought, and time go into writing them, as entire days or nights are spent listening and dissecting these albums (much to the dismay of the wife), so it is nice to hear someone enjoys them.

The way the reviews are written most likely will not change, but consideration will be given.

Hope you keep reading. Many more to come.

I like your reviews but the way you keep saying 'this writer' really puts me off. It's so awkward and pretentious. A review is YOUR opinion, so it's entirely appropriate to say 'I think'. But if you're averse to using first person, there are much better ways of expressing a view without resorting to 'this writer' all the time.

Yes, you could always start saying "This guy who, of which, wrote this" instead.

With that said, I think Ensiferum's latest work is pretty decent. Not great, maybe, but decent. Worth looking into if you want something a bit different from the norm, even if not in regards to their previous efforts.