Enter Shikari - Common Dreads

JeffTD

Senhor Testiculo
Sep 29, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
www.jeffdunne.com
Production is just normal, nothing to rant and rave about but not bad at all, so I didn't want to post that there.

I'm gonna get flack for this I'm sure, but is anyone else loving this album like i am?

Fuck, It's the only thing I've listened to besides the stuff I'm mixing since it came out last week. I liked the old stuff cause it was fun, catchy, somewhat unique... but this new stuff is really damn original sounding to my ears, and the lyrics are fucking genius!

Just gave it a blast. It's pretty good.

As you said productions nothing to write home about, the vocal production does seem an awful lot better this time around though.

Some decent lyrics as well, but I still feel the whole thing suffers from that half finished sound, maybe its cos the song structures are all a bit wierd.

I've heard bits and pieces of it, but I have to say I prefer Take To The Skies.
That album has too much attached to it, total sentimental value, Common Dreads is gonna have to do a lot to reach the same level for me.

I loved Take To The Skies but i'm not really feeling this one, the second track Solidarity is cool because of that first riff... but im not feeling any other cool riffs on this album?

It's way way way more about the overall songwriting than the riffs to me with this band - my personal 'highlights' of the album would be:

-The opening lines in "Step Up"
-The talking bit/house metaphor in Juggernauts
-The "I'm not saying that we could do better..." line in Juggernauts
-The chorus in Wall; "It's glorious outside" line
-The chorus in No Sleep Tonight
-Gap in the Fence as a whole is just genius... so many cool guitar lines and melodies!
-Hectic as a whole is fucking genius, IMO... particularly:
-The quick verse in Hectic; "We'll convene at mine, 3pm to play sega megadrive..." line
-The refrain after the verses; "If I could kidnap that feeling..." line gives me goosebumps
-Fanfare for the Conscious Man is awesome all around, really dig the lyrics and delivery here

Little gems like those throughout the album are what keep me listening, to be honest. The rest isn't bad at all but those parts laced within are just so genius... gotta hear them in context tho!