Entombed using a Peavey bandit? Is that internet BS?

Tockusa

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2017
Listen to those guitars at 4 mins:

If that is a HM2 into a Peavey Bandit I’ll eat my ilok. I’m pourung through live photo’s of that era and it’s nothing but Marshall.

It’s sounds like a 2203 Into 75’s and a HM-2. What proof is out there that it was a Bandit solid state combo with a crap speaker?

I’m doing a recreation for my channel.

It’s part of these recreations I’m doing over Christmas.

I have possible access to a Peavey Bandit. But I did not want to spend money on an internet rumor.

24274517_195058564396292_1526418075484684288_n.jpg

Last edited:
In the CD booktlet of the Left Hand Path reissue it says they used a 40 watts Peavey amps, a distortion pedal and a boss heavy metal pedal,I could take a picture of it if you want but I don't think that is really necessary!
Anyway, the defining piece here clearly is the boss HM2

That Peavey model was indeed used a lot in the Sunligh Studios. Live is probably always Marshalls , but live and studio or 2 totally different things.Many sources details the use of the Bandit in the 90's by many bands, not only Entombeb IIRC.

It's some sort of 80s Peavey solid state. Orvar Säfström stated that part here a long time ago. Apparently it's a HM-2 into either a Studio Pro (which is 40 watts) or a Bandit (which had some 65 watts version and I think maybe a 75 watts version too) on the LEFT and RIGHT but also apparently they triple-tracked (L,R and C) and in the center it's a BOSS DS-1 instead of the HM-2. Not sure if a boost was used or not but it may have been a SD-1 and from what I read they mic'ed it with a SM58, not a 57.

I've got a Bandit and a MIJ HM-2 and have done a few tests of my own, with a few modifications that I thought were necessary. 1. I swapped out the Scorpion (which are honky as fuck) and put in a Celestion V-Type since it was rated with enough wattage to handle the Bandit's output and 2. I modified the back of the bandit to be closed-back instead of half open so i could get some cab thump. It can pull of that swedeath sound, yeah. Probably not getting any modern Bloodbath tones out of it unless you blend it with something like a LaBoga or maybe Blackstar Series 100 with the HM-2 going through the FX loop instead of in front of the amp. I have been meaning to make some extensive videos of the setup but i just moved into my new studio three weeks ago and haven't had time due to work and mixing projects but i plan to get around to it asap.

A post from Orvar Säfström on Ultimatemetal.com:

OK, if anyone's still curious.

The "Left Hand Path" guitar sound was created with the following equipment.

Ibanez X-series with EMG pickups. Peavey Studio pro 40w combo.
Uffe Cederlund recorded three separate rythm guitars for every song (Alex Hellid did not play ANY rythm on the albums up until "To Ride...").
Two guitars use the HM2 basically all on 10 (the last dial, "Distortion" might have been a bit lower) with one guitar panned full right and one panned full left. Then the third guitar track uses a Boss Distortion (DS1) instead and is centered.
The Peavey amp later broke so from Clandestine forward a bandit was used.

This perticular tone was NOT created by Dismember (in fact, they didn't really sound like that until "Like an Everflowing Stream", but by Leffe Cuzner of Nihilist (Entombed pre name change). He was the first to discover the extreme uses of the HM2, later adopted by Uffe. Also producer Skogsbergs had a lot to do with how those early records sounded. A lot of noise gates and compressors (yeah, we're talking real racks here).