__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Envy – All The Footprints You’ve Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead
Rock Action Records – ROCK ACT 18CD – 2004
By Russell Garwood

envy.jpg

Being a huge fan of their previous release, A Dead Sinking Story, just imagine my excitement when Envy’s latest, All The Footprints You’ve Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead arrived in the mail. By the time I’d memorised the title (i.e. after several days), I’d listened to it enough to adore this release as well. Not a great deal has changed, sound-wise. There are still walls of emo-hardcore noise, unforgettable melodies, acoustic sections, thoughtful use of electronics, and acerbic screams. These are now joined, by fragile singing - at times layered with the shouts, and at others taking a far more prominent role. The quieter sections are just as effective as ever, building to mighty crescendos and fragmenting the harsher songs. Recitation (in Japanese) is again prominent, while the bass is less audible. The drums are - as always - well performed, and move between time signatures and dynamic extremes with grace. Yet it is not individual performances that make the music so memorable. This is the result of well written songs, a despondent feel, and the ever-effective contrast of darkly atmospheric soundscapes and crushing slabs of hardcore.

The production is top-rate, with crystal clear recording, and a good balance between quiet and louder passages. English translations of the lyrics are provided, and the packaging is as bleak – yet compellingly attractive – as the music. Hence All The Footprints You’ve Ever Left And The Fear Expecting Ahead comes very highly recommended. Fans of emotional music will love Envy’s work, as the music’s message transcends the language barrier with ease. A few final words, however; the band has perfected its sound, and this release shows the Japanese quintet on top form. Let us hope that the musicians can continue to evolve, innovate, and move on, now they have refined their music to its current state of perfection.

8.5/10

Official Rock Action Records website