ephel duath, which cd is better?

genocide roach

DOOOOOOOOOOM
Aug 18, 2002
which cd is better? i lean toward the more technical and death metal style of metal. i dig bands like cephalic carnage, psypheria, emperor and cryptopsy.

so which one would best suit me.
~gR~

I only own The Painter's Pallette. It's quite unlike anything else I've heard, but I don't think you'd enjoy it based on the bands you listed. It's very jazzy.

I have Painter's Palette and I like it.. I heard their past stuff was a more pure version of Black Metal...

Guardian of Darkness said:
I only own The Painter's Pallette. It's quite unlike anything else I've heard, but I don't think you'd enjoy it based on the bands you listed. It's very jazzy.

i do like it, thats why i asked. i like the jazzy influence
~gR~

Here's my informed opinion:

Opera

Interesting demo. Symphonic black metal, fairly straightfoward.

Phormula

Fairly interesting Arcturus-esque post black metal. A lot of guitar wanking and shrieks and some clean vocals and a lot of keyboards. The Greyness Grows Already Old is Ephel Duath's best song, but the rest of the fairly short album is kinda dull.

Rephormula

Combination of Opera and Phormula with bonus remixes. Get this one if you looooooooooove Arcturus, but don't expect to be blown away. I know people that absolutely worship it... it's kind of a mixture of Scholomance and Arcturus.

The Painter's Palette

This is BY FAR the best overall release. Every song is wicked, very technical jazz metalcore fusion. Don't expect the typical metalcore-isms such as a monotone yell and a lot of breakdowns. Instead, expect a lot of screams, very technical almost wanky guitars, bass, and drums, a bit of saxophone, and some clean vocals which are kind of like Maynard meets Jeff Buckley, but not as good as either.

You say you're into technical death metal. The Painter's Pallette is not metal at all. Sure its got a guy screaming, and heavy guitars, but i'd classify more as jazzy hardcore than anything else. Just a warning, approach it with a VERY open mind

i like the wierd stuff. cephalic carnage has a very jazzy side as i think cryptopsy does as well. i just like new and different stuff. im trying to find stuff of painters pallette, but i cant find anything
~gR~