Ephel Duath

Mark H

www.metal-discovery.com
Sep 12, 2006
Lincoln, UK
www.metal-discovery.com
Hi all :heh:

What did everyone think of Ephel Duath? I know they aren't to everyone's taste, but I thought they were the band of the weekend. It's pretty challenging music to listen to, but I think they are one of the most genuinely progressive bands around (and all very nice, sincere people too).

I saw them again last Weds in Nottingham (UK) and they were even better than at Progpower - even though a power failure ended their set after half an hour! There's a review on my site if you're interested:

http://www.metal-discovery.com/Live/ephel_duath_old_angel_oct_2006.htm

I enjoyed them. Fantastic musicians, very different, and thoroughly entertaining. I watched the whole set, and to me, the only thing that could have done with some variation was the vocals. I get the whole 'screamy/shouty' thing, but a bit of Mike Patton crooning would have added another layer to their sound and dynamic.

Very original though, and a nice suoprise. That's what PP is all about - some bands you know, and some very cool discoveries.

Maybe we'll see them at a future ProgPower UK?

Yeah, I kinda agree. You should check out their second album, 'The Painter's Palette', which had a separate 'clean' vocalist (and lots of nice jazz trumpet too!). I don't think the album after, 'Pain Necessary To Know, was any less 'varied' with no clean vocals, but only having aggressive screams just made it a bit more of a challenging listen.

And you're completely right about the whole PP vibe - for me, the true essence of Progpower is definitely about discovering cool new bands, and it's a great opportunity to do so. :)

And as for Ephel Duath at Progpower UK - f*ck yeah :headbang:

When I first heard Ephel Duath a few weeks before the festival I was very sceptical. It was the 'Pain Necessary to know' album. When I heard them live I got totally hooked on their sound tho. I loved the live performance, I was just so amazed during the whole thing. The presence of the Singer, his facial expressions and the music, so weird, powerful and original! If I get the chance I will definitely see them again!