Epica

Oh yeah, you gotta love 'm. The Classical Conspiracy is really nice. :) I can't decide which song is my favorite. :loco:

I love Simone Simons. She is, IMO, the best vocalist of all time. She can nail classical (opera), pop, and rock all flawlessly. Tides of Time is a brilliant example.

The band itself is quite good, though I prefer Nightwish

I personally am not a HUGE Nightwish fan guys... sorry... lol. I like some of their stuff A LOT but I prefer some other female fronted metal bands.

Whaaaat? :err:
Is it even possible to be a fan of symphonic metal and not love Nightwish?

Aletheus said:
How do ducks actually 'fly' certain objects?
I thought that verb wasn't transitive.

He said he was taking cover so objects thrown at him for not liking Tarja would miss.

I like both Tarja and Anette (though Simone takes the best of both, and then makes it better), but I think Tuomas Holopainen is a genius!

I didn't love Nightwish until Anette replaced Tarja [ducks flying objects].

I've heard a lot of that. I personally enjoy both. They both sing differently, Tarja took a more operatic approach while Anette just sings.

Annette isn't bad; it's just that Tarja is so much better. She's by far my favorite female singer, and ranks #5 or 6 overall. Simone Simons is good too; better than Annette at least, though I haven't listened to a huge amount of Epica.

Tarja was amazing! she sings so expressively. Annette is just another singer--nothing special about her voice.

Tarja's voice just didn't do it for me. Obviously she's an excellent singer, but her voice just didn't move me at all - just personal preference. I tried many times to get into Nightwish and couldn't due to her vocals. Loved Marco's voice, but there just wasn't enough of it to keep me interested. When Anette was announced and Dark Passion Play was released I thought I'd give them one more try. I was instantly hooked by DPP. Not only on Anette's voice but also on how many more vocal parts Marco had. That guy has the perfect metal voice IMO.

I will admit, now that I appreciate the band's music so much more, I've been able to go back and appreciate the Tarja stuff more.

BTW, enjoyed the transitive comment :loco:

Has anybody here checked out Northern Kings? Marco from Nightwish, Tony from Sonata Arctica, and others covering non-metal songs. Pretty cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) is the perfect mix between Anette and Tarja. Their message is a tad more pagan than Theocracy's, though.

I live in The Netherlands (Epica, Within Temptation, Delain!), but I've only seen Epica live once... *Objects flying ducks.* I intend to see them more.

Martyr's Crown said:
Annette isn't bad; it's just that Tarja is so much better. She's by far my favorite female singer, and ranks #5 or 6 overall. Simone Simons is good too; better than Annette at least, though I haven't listened to a huge amount of Epica.

Tides of Time. The verses show her skill in pop-like vocals, the chorus is classical, and the bridge shows off her rock side as she belts out notes with mind-blowing power.

Yeah, I like Northern Kings...I wish I could buy their cover of Don't Stop Believing on iTunes.