Eq in Superior drummer 2 or not?

Swedishgeetarplayer

New Metal Member
Feb 26, 2011
Hey guys!
When you mix your drum sound, do you add eq, compression and so forth in Superior drummer or do you use eq, compression and so forth in your daw?

I'm trying to get a good snare sound by using the eq in Superior but...no luck.

If you have the time, plz tell me how you get a snare sound that doesn't sound like it's belong to a pop tune. I'm a metal head :headbang:

It depends on the mix man. It also depends on what pieces in the kit you're using. I usually just use the toms and overheads from SD2.0, and then send the snare/kick to slate and other triggers with samples i blend with. For SD20, I usually use the built-in eq and compression for the toms, but then use eq and compression in my daw for the overheads. I also do a fair bit of eq within sd20 for the rooms. But again, it changes from track to track... sometimes I'll use all fx within sd20, and sometimes avoid them altogether and just buss it out.

Just experiment to see what works and sounds best to you. Personally, I find using as little of their built-in fx as possible works best for me, but it also depends on what kind of plugs you have available. If you have stuff like waves plugins, then i would opt for those, but if you have cheap ass free plugs, then the eq's and comp's in sd20 may end up being better. Good luck.

I like to think of superior as outboard gear before your drums hit the daw. For example I use light compression and eq in superior just like I would if I was recording real drums with outboard effects.