Processing real drums as in Superior Drummer?

osum

Misanthrope
Jun 26, 2011
South Germany
Salut there,

one thing I'm thinking about for a while is:

When creating Superior Drummer 2 presets I mostly use multiple EQs in series on e.g. the kick channel. Same thing I saw on almost every preset I ever seen. Most kick, snare, etc channel chains in Superior Drummer look like this:
(as an example)
EQ - EQ - EQ - Comp - EQ

Something like doing the most changes on the first eq, then on the second some other little boosts, etc.

Obviously this works fine, at least for me.

My question is – as I never have done real drums yet – are you usually doing the same with real drums? Or is there normally just one EQ doing everything? I know, there are no real rules, everything which works is ok but I'm interested in some basic ways to do that.

I read Ermz' great Drum-Mixing-Guide, but that kind of how-to-do wasn't really mentioned.

Another thing: what kind of EQ do you guys mostly use on drums? General-parametric-DAW-builtin-EQ or SSL Channel stuff or or? :)

:Smokin:

Depends, you can use fab filter pro-q which has an unlimited number of eq bands, so you can go crazy

personally I'm going for less and less, and a 4 band eq in the ssl channelstrip is enough for me.

I hink the main reason of using crazy amount of eq within SD, is a lack of respect for real stuff:p But you´re right when tweaking SD i find myself using a lot more eqing than on real drums. Usually two eq´s (=8 band´s) are doing it for me in real world.

i use multiple instances of EQs very often, just because not to get distractet by the weird look of the frequency-curve. ("ohh this looks very strange, i already have this big notch at 432Hz, i cannot cut anymore..."

I'm layering kick and snare samples most of the time in rock and metal. I'll have a track for each sample where I EQ only a bit (mostly cuts), then send them to a folder where they to come together in a console emu first (VCC or Satson), then I compress that, then I EQ the result again, then I clip the track (not always) and sometimes there's another EQ after that.

So in short: up to 3 EQ's in the chain. But I wouldn't be scared to add another if I think it gets me a better result :)

I never really understood the need for multiple layers of eq. Can the same thing not be achieved with just 1 eq? I mean the second eq is not going to add anything that the first eq couldn't, right? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like this.