Mastering drums w/Superior Drummer

Laneismusic

Nov 20, 2009
Arlington, Tx.
www.myspace.com
I'm happy with my drums and everything, I'm using SD2 In logic 9. I wanted to mix each part of the kit via their own track in Logic.. But can't figure out how to do so. I know it's possible, and some people have figured it out, but i'm stuck!

Also. What is there that needs to be done to drums during mastering? Should I just forget about this whole mastering drums thing, and master on the Stereo out?

@Superior Drummer users: My drums sounds REALLY great, but I want to make them sound real. Like very real.. I know adding reverb helps, but what tricks do you do inside superior??

Thanks!
-Lane

http://www.myspace.com/archivialrecording

I'm happy with my drums and everything, I'm using SD2 In logic 9. I wanted to mix each part of the kit via their own track in Logic.. But can't figure out how to do so. I know it's possible, and some people have figured it out, but i'm stuck!

Also. What is there that needs to be done to drums during mastering? Should I just forget about this whole mastering drums thing, and master on the Stereo out?

@Superior Drummer users: My drums sounds REALLY great, but I want to make them sound real. Like very real.. I know adding reverb helps, but what tricks do you do inside superior??

Thanks!
-Lane

http://www.myspace.com/archivialrecording

Im not sure exactly how to do it in logic, but there should be a button for something like build 16 tracks multichannel out, then you just set each track output in the superior mixer to whatever track they go to.

As far as making them sound real, learn to use the ambient mics, they are the best feature in superior IMO

If you still don't know how to route each drum part to it's single channel, no way you have REALLY GREAT drums, unluckily, i know about this routing in FLStudio, Reaper, Cubase, and Sonar, BUT, i'm on a PC, so, no Logic. You don't need reverb on your drums to make them sound AWESOME or real, you really need to know when and where to add it, depends on the mix/style, etc. Be careful adding reverb to individual tracks on drums when you get the whole thing, the only thing i find important for reverbs is making them coherent with the rest of the kit, maybe just use more Amb mics and you won't need any reverbs.

Im not sure exactly how to do it in logic, but there should be a button for something like build 16 tracks multichannel out, then you just set each track output in the superior mixer to whatever track they go to.

As far as making them sound real, learn to use the ambient mics, they are the best feature in superior IMO

Thanks man, I'll try that out.

ok... i don't really use logic but this is how i was taught.

first:

- create a software instrument track.

- open the 16 x (stereo) multichannel instantiation of sd2.0

- in sd2.0 mixer, change the (output) to "multichannel" ...this will auto-populate the mixer settings to cascade the stereo output routing accordingly... i.e.

Kick In & Kick Out = 3/4... Snare Top & Snare Bottom = 5/6 ...and so on.

- now go to the mixer window in logic and at the instrument track's channel strip in the bottom right-hand corner, below the solo tag, there is a (+) symbol. each time you click the (+) symbol logic will automatically route the sd2.0 mixer to a stereo aux track in the logic mixer.

- now you have a stereo aux track that will represent each instrument of your drumkit. this will allow you to use inserts on the aux to mix accordingly.

- when you are happy with your mix, CONTROL click the midi cell and select "Bounce In Place" ...this will allow you to furthermore, bounce the full kit as an audio stem.

hope this helps.

-

Make them sound real as in, make them sound more human?

if this is the case... then, velocity and meter divisions are your friend. with daws like logic, pro tools & nuendo in which allow you to use "groove templates"... you don't even really need a real drummer.

but in the mean time it would be smart to check out a couple of drum programming guides.

i read one about six years ago called; "drum programming: a complete guide to program & think like a drummer."

i forgot the name of the second one i read but they all use about the same basic method.

you can probably google "acoustic drum programming" and end up with a ton of results.

if this is the case... then, velocity and meter divisions are your friend. with daws like logic, pro tools & nuendo in which allow you to use "groove templates"... you don't even really need a real drummer.

but in the mean time it would be smart to check out a couple of drum programming guides.

i read one about six years ago called; "drum programming: a complete guide to program & think like a drummer."

i forgot the name of the second one i read but they all use about the same basic method.

you can probably google "acoustic drum programming" and end up with a ton of results.

Thanks man, I got it all figured out finally!

Can somebody guide me through doing the exact same thing in Cubase 5.1 ? It would be f*cking awesome!! \m/

thanks!!:Smokedev: