superior drummer help!

jakespies

Apr 7, 2010
Alright so I have recently purchased superior drummer and I am trying to replace the programmed drums I already have. My guitarist has the individual audio tracks for the drums, is there any way I can send those to superior drummer instead of reprogramming 5 songs? I am using Ableton Live 8 and unfortunately all the posts on how to do this are with other DAW's :(. If anyone has a good idea on how to do this or knows where I can research it please point me in the right direction!

Well I'm guessing you used MIDI to program them in the first place, find that midi and sample from Superior.

Ableton might not be the best program for this type of stuff IMO.

I didn't program them :(. He used beatcraft which renders the files to audio lol. I have tried ktdrumtrigger but I can't seem to find out how to send each track to superior as a midi

hey man, i imagine if he programmed them using beatcraft he could export a midi track for you, which you could import on to a track with superior loaded in your DAW. It would definitely be the easiest way to sort it all out.

Drumtracker should do the job but I've also done this before using drumagog in Cubase. I will try to explain briefly

Create an audio track ( for instance kick ), load drumagog as an insert, in the advanced tab of drumagog select "midi out enable" and change the midi note to the corresponding note in Superior Drummer...in this case... the kick is midi note number C1.

Create a midi track, MIDI IN select drumagog ( which you have inserted in the kick audio track ), MIDI OUT select Superior Drummer.

Select the midi track and press record, now all kick's played on the audio track will be recorded as midi notes.

Good Luck!!

i had a client that would program in beatcraft also, there's no midi in beatcraft. terrible. i had him print each track separately and then gogged out some MIDI much like deadnormality ^ stated.

ktdrumtrigger should do the trick... your goal is to print a new MIDI track and then toss the beatcraft track, not send it directly to superior in real-time.

you may want to give reaper a try, it's free to try forever ($60 if you like it) and you would receive significantly better help from us here sneapsters. if you do give it a shot, it has a built-in JS script plugin for printing midi tracks, or you can use drumagog, or ktdrumtrigger, or whatever. to do it in reaper:

use the insert key to import each drum from beatcraft (.wav file) onto a separate track.

get the beatcraft transients on the grid. if there's no time changes, you can just type in the tempo in a clearly located field at the bottom of the screen.

for each track imported, create another new empty track under it that will recieve the MIDI information.

on each audio track, insert whatever plugin you'll use to detect the hits and pop out the MIDI. drumagog, for example.

drumagog requires you to go to the advanced tab, enable midi output, and specify a note. superior will tell you in it's construction interface which note corresponds to each drum. this step is important.

on each audio track, click the i/o button and add a send, and send to its corresponding empty track that will receive the MIDI.

(to clarify: there are no "MIDI" tracks or "audio" tracks in reaper, any track can contain any media type.)

now here's the step that most people don't figure out on their own: arm each MIDI track to record, and set it to record the midi OUTput, not input.

once all the routing and arming is set up, push record and let 'er rip.

following this i'd check on all the velocities and maybe quantize the MIDI.

i'm not sure if there's a way to implode the MIDI tracks all into one, either way you can just put 'em all in a folder track and just route that folder to superior and minimize it to keep them out of the way.