EQ'ing/Filtering an amp between Speaker Out/Cabinet In?

Empathy

Bulging Member
Mar 6, 2008
Perth, Western Australia
Ahoy there!

I've just received my new amp (again) in the mail after it went back to the manufacturer for repairs. Bloody thing killed one of it's power tubes and 2 of the 4 fuses after 2 hours of playing at rehearsal volume one day after I bought it brand new out of the box. Company was more than happy to help, and it's now working fine! Except for one thing...

The amp has, by design, an INSANE amount of low end. I'm not talking ENGL-Powerball-turned-up-to-10 levels, I'm talking BASS GUITAR levels. The angry bastard of a thing is rated at 160W with 4xKT88's in the power section and 4x12AX7B's in the pre, with a switch to operate at both 40% and 100% power-amp capacity.

Here's the big hitter though; before I bought the amp, I gave it a good thrashing at a gigging volumes. Sounded amazing, low end was easily controllable, overall sound was fat and delicious. When I took it to rehearsal the next day however, it was impossible to keep the bloody thing in check! The power-amp section does not actually have any controls other than a very interesting contour dial that shapes the upper-mids. No presence, no depth controls; so when I give the power-amp the beans, it's spewing out an unchecked amount of low-end that totally muddies up the sound. I've tried it with all the guitars I could find (both active and passive electronics), running it through the amp's matching 412 (Eminence Wizards), an ENGL 412 with V60's, a Mesa 212 with V30's, and a Greenback loaded Marshall 412. Consistent levels of why-the-fuck-did-I-buy-a-bass-amp in each of them.

I figure what I need is some form of high-pass filter to go between the power-amp (speaker output) and the speaker cabinet to try and control this ridiculous low-end. I know such things exist; as a matter of fact I met a well-spoken lad that makes and sells them himself at my last show. My question to the learned among you is this; are such things simple enough to make, and is there an even simpler option than running a HPF every time I want to use the bloody amp?

The amp manual claims (additionally confirmed by the people who make it) that it can be easily biased to suit EL34s, 6CA7s, KT77/88/90/100s, and 6550s. I'm thinking that replacing the Sovtek KT88s in there now with a nice quad of EL34s would help tame that low-end madness. Thoughts?

before swapping tubes ect.:
is the amp sitting in a room-corner? maybe there are some room-resonances... move it around in your rehearsaal and listen how the sound changes!

Actually, we tested the room-resonance possiblity quite thoroughly (well before it ended up exploding)! Corners of course accentuated the problem, while sitting it in the middle of the rehearsal room had little positive effect. We even rolled it outside on a big ol' extension cord, and still noticed the brutal low-end.

The 'problem' seems to be stemming from the poweramp itself; I'm experiencing radical tonal shifts as I drive the channel/master volumes - even with an EQ post pre-amp in the FX loop, the poweramp will still drive it pretty heavily. I only had a boss GE7 on hand, I'll borrow a friends MXR 10-band this week and see if that helps.

I'm aware of the inability to use conventional pedals at the amp output stage, was wondering if perhaps there was anything specifically designed to handle amplified signals.

So you have pulled ALL the low end out with the on board EQ AND tried a pedal in hte loop to remove all the low end and its STILL has too much?

If so tubes aint gonna fix the issue. Sounds like you just dont like the way the head sounds.

So you have pulled ALL the low end out with the on board EQ AND tried a pedal in hte loop to remove all the low end and its STILL has too much?

If so tubes aint gonna fix the issue. Sounds like you just dont like the way the head sounds.

It's by no means BAD... I've just honestly never heard a guitar amp with so much low-end. Running it with an EQ in the effects loop certainly helped bring it down to what I would consider 'normal' levels, but I frankly hate the GE7. I'll look into other EQ pedals for rehearsal purposes: the amp sounds perfectly fine (and frankly fucking amazing) at studio/stage volumes. I'll try and get some clips up ASAP.