Escape Vocal Cover

orcslayr23

Jan 30, 2008
CT, USA
Hey guys! If you're interested, check out my vocal cover of "Escape", one of my favorite Amorphis songs!

Go easy on me. I've only recently gotten serious about developing a clean singing voice and this is only my second formal attempt at singing, but I gave it my best shot. Constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks, and I hope you enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
So what parts of your singing were you most wanting to assess with that recording? What part of your performance were you concentrating hardest on capturing? Would help to know what feedback you most want at this stage in your practice.

I guess with my performance I was trying to capture the emotion of the song the best I could with my own voice (i'm not trying to sound like Tomi). However, since I am still developing "my own voice" and getting a handle on clean singing in the general sense, I guess i'd like to know what the listener liked/disliked about my performance and if they have any suggestions on how I can improve (moreso in the sense of hitting the correct notes and conveying them in the way they were meant to than like "you should do this to your voice", but all suggestions are welcome).

Choosing a song with a lot of power in the vocals is a challenge, especially if you are trying to bring some emotion to it. Your throat sounds a bit tight, like you are trying hard to give the performance energy by working hard. As an instrument, the voice gets some of its power from the throat being relaxed and letting more air through. Not easy to do in the beginning when you are also working hard to hit the right notes and also not easy when the song is at the top end of your current range.

It sounds like your voice is coming from your head at the back of your throat and through your nose. Try making the sound come from your chest and pushing from your diaphragm.

Also, find songs that are comfortable to sing for your vocal range and find the parts that are challenging to shift between notes (intervals) and practice those intervals over and over to make them easier to hit. It's a lot like playing a guitar in that way.

Choosing a song with a lot of power in the vocals is a challenge, especially if you are trying to bring some emotion to it. Your throat sounds a bit tight, like you are trying hard to give the performance energy by working hard. As an instrument, the voice gets some of its power from the throat being relaxed and letting more air through. Not easy to do in the beginning when you are also working hard to hit the right notes and also not easy when the song is at the top end of your current range.

It sounds like your voice is coming from your head at the back of your throat and through your nose. Try making the sound come from your chest and pushing from your diaphragm.

Also, find songs that are comfortable to sing for your vocal range and find the parts that are challenging to shift between notes (intervals) and practice those intervals over and over to make them easier to hit. It's a lot like playing a guitar in that way.

Thanks for the tips! I've kind of gone through all this when developing my scream, so I was hoping it would come more naturally when singing. No such luck haha. I'll get there eventually.

Tomi's mentioned a few times in interviews that he wishes he'd taken vocal training earlier. There are some good sites on the web that can get you some exercises and tips to help relative pitch, intervals, breathing, tone, etc. (not that I have any bookmarked or have done any training from them, but I have friends who have, so google is your friend ;) ).

Sorry orcslayer 23 years old but....hmm...

I think you are tone deaf. You feel like you can hit the notes, but in reality yer all over the place.

Patience,

I am proud that you are working on stuff like this.

Get some real gear, starting with a tuner.

Try again and again if you really want to do this. Success only comes with trial and error.

Just trying to help.

Not tone deaf. Needs better pitch control, sure, but usually within a quarter tone. The ear is there, but the intonation needs to be dialed in a bit, mostly on the higher end, which may be a result of strain.

Yeah, I think if I ever want to actually get 'good' at singing I need to take lessons, but idk if I actually 'want it' enough to do that.

Actually I'm trying to sing and play guitar/bass at the same time and to be good, it's not as easy as I want it to be. There's so much other music STUFF it takes time.

So don't just give up, keep trying dude. Some musicians make it look easy, I tend to over think stuff. My voice isn't that unique but I do have writing skills....

So what I did for my heavy dark evil metal kick ass band was.....

The blues. Just remember the last note you play, and get all jazzy. Even 'girly' if that helps. Then over time, the growls come in and things get more comfortable.

Try it again or maybe another song, I'd like to hear it.