Esoteric

BloodSword

Jan 30, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Specifically, "Subconcious Dissolution into the Continuum." Agonizing, terrifying, cathartic and beautiful to me. It's not the riffs, it's the music listened to holistically. A solid example of vocals used as an instrument. The first 4 minutes of "The Blood in my Eyes" is some of the most beautiful music I've heard. I'm completely blown away by this disc. Esoteric might be the best doom/funeral/doom band ever. Fuckin' beyond awesome!! Anyone else groovin' to this? Or am I just a Doom retard?:kickass::zombie:

I've already praised these guys many times for the simple fact that they are fantastic. The Pernicious Enigma and Metamorphogenesis are my favourite albums

I love the way the vocals sound on "Subconscious..." Haven't given it a spin in a while.

In listening to their previous works, someone mentioned them, I hear music that is composed better and played better than their other discs on SDITC. The earlier music while still excellent seemed a bit splayed for my taste. Mourning Beloveth, Skepticism and Evoken do come to mind, but Esoteric,imo, dominates this genre.

They're fantastic. At the risk of sounding like a pretentious idiot, their music definitely elevates (or perhaps makes me descend) to a place I have never been with any other band. That doesn't mean I think they're the best band ever, but they're in the running. I completely lose myself in the second half of The Secret of the Secret. Epic several minute solo without a single note wasted.

No surprise to anyone here I'm sure, but I was reading an interview with Greg Sanders, and he said their music was fueled by drugs. He never mentioned a specific drug, but I'll bet my dripping brain, it's some form of hallucinogen. Also the music created is their "mental concepts" transposed into music. Isn't that what most good artists do? No surprise there. Esoteric, with SDITC have formed a "soundtrack" for me. In terms, of how I feel about the society, culture and basically the world in which we live. Of course, coming from a crushing, hateful and disgusted musical point of view. Ulver, on the the other hand, with "Shadows of the Sun" is also a "soundtrack" coming from a more serene and contemplative state of mind. Music, for me is the greatest of all the arts, for it can cut through anything.

btw the riff @ 5:31 on Creation (Through Destruction) on The Pernicious Enigma is among the greatest riffs ever made