Essay Help?

M@RS

Jul 22, 2010
Hey guys, I'm writing an essay to answer the question, "How do musicians use language to get their points across in their songs?" I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I was hoping I could get a response from the Theocracy guys. I appreciate anything you guys have.

So far, I've only got three devices that musicians use to get their meaning across.

- Allegory, I think this speaks for itself.
- Repetition, repeating the verse or chorus will often help in getting the lyrics stuck in someone's head. It will also "hammer" the point in, just like teachers in school. Will repeat things so that the students fully understand.
- The Music itself is often what cause people listen to guys scream about how crappy relationships are. Without music, no one would pay attention to him.

Thanks.

I notice that some musicians like to use paradoxes when they write lryics. That kind of writing makes me listen to the lyrics more closely.

Maybe this is too late to be of any use, but as a lyricist I like to play with words so that meaning can be ambiguous. Sometimes the poetic flow of the words is most important, but I do write some crazy things that most people probably wouldn't want to understand. When I was younger I tended to write brutal, preachy material whose meaning was obvious. I also used to write a lot of silly songs for one particular friend, and she seemed to always love what I did. It's nice to know your audience and to be able to share something that you know they'll understand, but most of the time I just write for myself. One thing I do is pray that God will help me to use my talents for His glory. And saying this, I've been writing mostly music without words for quite a few years now.

Lol, well I'm not desperately trying to complete a high school essay anymore. But thank you!